GO!

Bump Near Dog's Ear

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Toby

Barked: Thu Oct 9, '08 8:04am PST 
My puppy who is a little over a year old has a small pink bump near his ear about the size of an eraser. We noticed it two weeks ago and my father thought it might be a tick, so he picked it.
cry

It grew back and now I'm not sure what it is but have been very freaked out googling and noticing things on mast cell tumors! Any idea what else it could be? I have an apt with the vet on Nov 1st and called another vet but he is all booked today.
[notify]
Daisy

Fresh as a- Daisy!

Barked: Thu Oct 9, '08 9:48am PST 
i'm having a similar problem with my dog, who's almost 3 years old. she has a small pink/white bump under her ear. a friend of mine, who is a vet tech, suggested it might be a papilloma (wart). she told me papillomas are very common in dogs and they're usually nothing to worry about. of course, i'm going to take daisy to the vet to have it examined, to be safe.

might i suggest that you shop around for a different vet, if yours doesn't have an available appointment before november 1st? you wouldn't tolerate that long of a wait for your child to see the pediatrician, i'm sure.
[notify]
Bria

The Devil- Inside.......

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 7:59am PST 
Hi Toby,
My advice to you since your posting really hit home is to stop googling and yes, call a vet that will get you in sooner - at least to put your mind at ease! Bria had a mast cell tumor removed in late July - clean margins and completely removed but trust me, I was besides myself with worry and googling 24/7. Please don't jump to the conclusion that it is an MCT just yet because it could be soooooo many other, non-cancerous things. Definitely don't pick at it again in the rare case it is a mast cell tumor but rest assured, if it is, it's not the worst thing to have and if caught early (like it seems it was), it can be completely cured with no other reoccurence or spread. Please feel free to message me if you need more advice or calming words. I've learned a lot through research and talking to vets.
Good luck and please keep me posted!hug
[notify]

Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 11:37am PST 
Henry also had a few similar bumps under his arm. I googled and googled until I thought I would go insane because everything I found pointed to cancer. I took him to the vet and she said cancer in a dog under two years is rare, not unheard of, but very rare. They turned out to be skin tags, or papillomas. They went away in a couple months. A vet visit is the only thing that put my mind at ease...
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 12:21pm PST 
Thanks so much for the help everyone! I took Toby to the vet today and he just looked at it and said that it was a "histocytoma". It happens in young dogs (Toby just turned one) and goes away on it's own in about two months but if it doesn't we should go back. He said that these little bumps don't increase the likelihood later on of a mast cell tumor...they look almost identical but are different.
Phew. Good to know! Toby was shaking like a leaf when we were in the office so I'm really happy that the Dr. didn't have to poke or prod him at all. The appt I have for November 1st is for his holistic vet for the allergies.
Thanks for the kind words! smile
[notify]
Bria

The Devil- Inside.......

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 12:24pm PST 
Toby,

Fabulous news!!

Have a great weekend!!blue dog
[notify]