GO!

Diabetic dog insulin shock home treatment

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 11:38am PST 
We saved our 20 lb diabetic terrier dog easily with a simple tool. Ask your pharmacist for a pharmaceutical "eye dropper". It's about twice the size of an eye dropper. If the dog is conscious, feed it with dog food covered with caro syrup or sugar water. If unable to eat , dissolve 3 sugar cubes or equivalent amount of granulated sugar in about an ounce or 2 of water in a small glass. It only takes about 15 seconds to dissolve it by stirring with a spoon. Force feed 1/2 dropper at a time slowly so it can swallow it w/o choking. If the jaws are locked shut, lubricate the dropper with hand lotion, etc and inject into the dog's rear end. A larger dog may require more than one or two ounces. Our dog was in a full hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) insulin shock seizure and this treatment worked great. She was out of the seizure in a about 2 - 3 minutes and was fine. Insulin shock can easily kill a pet from what I've read so you've got to act fast. Keep the dropper, sugar, lotion, small glass and caro syrup together in one place where you can easily find them. I'm not a vet so you might want to ask your vet about this. Applying caro syrup to the gums with your fingers also works, but can be dangerous if a seizure occurs and the dog bites down on your fingers.
[notify]
Loki - Goodbye My- Handsome Boy

I know I'm big,- but can I sit in- yr lap?

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 3:26pm PST 
OMG. I have a 170 lb monster of a dog, part Rotty/part Shepherd. When he had low blood sugar it was Karo syrup by the bucketful! Just kidding, it was a lot. Luckily he wasn't in full insulin shock, but he was heading there.
[notify]