GO!

Ate onions, what do I do?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

  
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Roxy My Love- 12/06-1/08

Attitude with- Bounce
 
 
Barked: Tue Aug 26, '08 4:41pm PST 
I am on the phone now waiting for a vet but wanted to post as well.

My 25 pound wheaten terrier just ate about 3 rings from an onion off of a hamburger. She got into the trash when we weren't looking. Everything I read online talks about Heinz Anemia which scares me to death. Is there a ration of onions to dog weights that makes it better or worse. Should I induce vomiting and if so how do I do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My 3 other dogs never got into this and I am a bit scared.

Thanks!
[notify]
Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!
 
 
Barked: Tue Aug 26, '08 4:53pm PST 
If my dogs ate that little bit of onion, I really wouldn't worry, but I would call the vet just to be safe.
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(
 
 
Barked: Tue Aug 26, '08 6:12pm PST 
I'm pretty sure that amount for your size is not a toxic dose. I wouldn't be all that concerned (I know... I'm a big proponent of never feeding your dogs or cats onions). I read somewhere they'd need about 100mg/kg in a single dose for it to be toxic. As long as you don't continue to have exposure to the onions, even in small doses, you will probably be ok. If you don't trust me (heck, I'm just a pup on the internet afterall), you can try calling the National Animal Poison Control hotline at 1-888-426-4435 but there is a $60 charge I think per call.
[notify]

Mason

The skinny fat- dog!
 
 
Barked: Tue Aug 26, '08 6:39pm PST 
I thought Mason ate some grapes earlier...I really started to freak out, as now they say grapes are bad....

What I did was to give him two "activated Charcoal" Tablets (available at any health food store) and took him out to pee a lot. He seems fine....

I guess the Universal poisoning remedy is activated charcoal and milk of magnesia (laxative) I guess the charcoal absorbs the poison and the MOM expels it. Doesn't sound like so much of a neat remedy, but I guess it works....

If you do want to induce vomiting, (which I don't know that you do,) is to give peroxide orally-dunno the exact dose--and that will induce vomiting. Hope this helps....

Let us know what happens!

Edited by author Tue Aug 26, '08 6:42pm PST

[notify]
Roxy My Love- 12/06-1/08

Attitude with- Bounce
 
 
Barked: Tue Aug 26, '08 6:56pm PST 
Thanks everyone for the great responses. One vet said not to worry and that was it...I was not satisfied with that response. I called another vet who said that due to the amount and her size it should not be toxic. But to still keep an eye on her as she may have a tummy ache...and bad onion breath!

Thanks again pals!
[notify]
Annie, CGC

Cheese!
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 27, '08 8:30am PST 
phew, well good thing she's ok! My mom's boxer/aussie got into onions once and she was one sick puppy. She didn't need to go to the vet, but she did spend a good portion of the night (about every half hour or so) going outside, because it gave her horrible diarrea...
[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 27, '08 8:47am PST 
Activated charcoal is a good idea if you're worried...

But yeah, I'm glad she is okay!big grin
[notify]
Jewel

403764
 
 
Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 12:15am PST 
I think my dog got into a small bit of onion--like a pinch, literally. This morning there were six piles of what was in her stomach all over the house. She did manage to drink, but she is listless. Should I worry, or did nature take its course and expel it? This is a dog that NEVER throws up.
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!
 
 
Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 1:53am PST 
if it's only a little bit she will be okhug
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!
 
 
Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 8:02am PST 
The OP on this thread is from 2008.

My post is @Jewel, who posted this morning.

A pinch of onion shouldn't be a problem, but with a reaction like that I would absolutely call the vet ASAP. She could be extra sensitive to it, or the onion may have been a coincidence. It's not good for a dog to bring up everything in it's stomach and then be "listless." All other issues aside, with that much vomiting a dog is at risk of dehydration. Did she keep the water she drank down?

Edited by author Mon Aug 8, '11 8:03am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2