GO!

Covered in bumps...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 7:08pm PST 
Poor Ginger... She is covered in red bumps! They look a bit like large mosquito bites. We are not sure the cause. My vet at first thought she had some kind of immune condition, but now she thinks it may be allergies. Ginger was on corticosteroids and the bumps went away, but now they are back so she is back on the steroids and benadryl. frown They are also itchy or painful so she keeps trying to lick a few of them, and licked some bald spots on her side! I am trying to stop her from doing this but if I can't I might need to put an ecollar on.
My vet even looked through her medical encyclopedias with me (there is one volume just for skin conditions) in case it was some rare condition, but we couldn't find anything that seemed quite like what Ginger has...
[notify]
Firefly

Lighting up my- mom's heart....

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 7:12pm PST 
Isn't there a form of atopy caused by a genetic hypothyroidism? I don't know if Ginger has Hypo, probably not, but that is one skin condition I can think of.

Firefly is currently battling FAD(flea allergy dermatitis) Which can be red bumps that itch, and, in Fly's case, infected scabs. My vet is preparing medication monday, but right now I used a cortisone shampoo and they look better.

Not sure what they could be. Maybe FAD? Firefly is allergic to many things, so I have a list...
[notify]

My Angel

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 7:58pm PST 
Ginger's thyroid is fine so it is not a thyroid related condition. I don't think it is FAD either because I have never seen any sign of fleas... She did once a few years ago bring a flea or a few home from visiting a friend, but she did not develop any itchiness or anything when that happened, and I quickly was able to get rid of the flea(s) so I don't think she is allergic to fleas.
[notify]

Kady

Born to Sniff

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 9:09pm PST 
Has she been swimming anywhere unusual? A couple years ago Kady (who HATES water) slipped her collar to chase a bunny and took a shortcut through an area we unaffectionately call "Swamp Goose Poop." Even though she got a bath after, she got an extreme case of the itchies and her skin turned a bright pink - it looked kinda like tiny little hives (and then giardia - ewww, bad memory there). We got a shampoo from the vet, with a hypoallergenic conditioner which eventually took care of it. I hope you and your vet can figure out what Ginger is reacting to.
hug
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 9:30pm PST 
hughughugGingerhughughug Hope you are feeling better soon. ALot of pups having odd reactions this week it seems.confused Hugs for you all.hug
[notify]

My Angel

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 10:02pm PST 
Nope she has not been swimming all summer. The only thing I could think of is a plant allergy because she did have one already before. Most summers she would get an itchy, splotchy (but not raised bumps) pink rash on her stomach for about a week and I think it was an allergy to some weeds or plant in our yard, but she has not gotten that in the last 2 years or so... However this is totally different looking and it's all over, not just her stomach.
[notify]

My Angel

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 10:53pm PST 
I took some photos---

bumps1
It's hard to tell they're raised in this one, but they are. The dark red is one she was licking.

bump2
This is the other spot she'd been licking.

I couldn't get a photo of any places where she wasn't licking them because they're covered by hair, and if I move the hair the scabby outer layer peels off so I try not to touch them. frown

Edited by author Sat Aug 23, '08 10:54pm PST

[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '08 9:56am PST 
Wow, Ginger! Those look uncomfortable. frown I can't say I've really seen anything like them. Is there a way that you can consult with a veterinary dermatologist? hug
[notify]

My Angel

Barked: Wed Aug 27, '08 10:21pm PST 
I didn't want to put a ecollar(cone) on her because she hates it, so I ended up just putting her t-shirt on instead. So now I have her wearing her dog t-shirt all the time, because it keeps her from licking the bumps and making them open sores. confused
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Wed Aug 27, '08 11:12pm PST 
I found this online, otherwise I really don't have any suggestions or experience, but this seems like a possibility- (suggests a bacterial skin infection)... I can't make the links, but here's the website:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/community/11604768/detail.htm l

Hope you are feeling better soon!

ps- dogster is adding a space in the html when I post, so just delete that and then the address will come up...

Edited by author Wed Aug 27, '08 11:14pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2