GO!

Dog covering nose/muzzle while sleeping

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Rosa

Assistant to the- Regional Manager

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 7:50am PST 
Rosa covers her nose with the side of her paw and curls up into a little ball when she sleeps sometimes. I think it is the cutest thing, but my friend mentioned that her dog's holistic vet said that dogs who cover their noses while sleeping could have spleen issues. I can't find any info online to back this up, but I'm wondering if you have heard anything about covering the nose and health issues? I thought it was just another adorable little thing she does, but now I'm worried... frown

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
In Loving- Memory of- Chance

The dog who- didn't stand a- chance

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 7:55am PST 
I've never heard anything about that. thinking

I mean, it could be. But, I wouldn't worry too much about it until you find some cold, hard proof that he's right. And, if you just want to make sure, you could always ask your vet if that's true. Chance sometimes covers his nose when he sleeps and he has nothing wrong with his spleen. I'd say look into it before you worry TOO much.
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 8:11am PST 
dixie and zeppelin both love to bury their noses when they sleep, whether it be in the covers, under my leg, or in my pillow. they both also sleep under the covers. i always figured they get cold when they sleep, and covering their noses warms them up b/c they're breathing back in the warm air. i know it works me for, lol.
[notify]

In Loving- Memory of- Chance

The dog who- didn't stand a- chance

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 8:19am PST 
Zepplin- I think I've actually read something about them doing it when they get cold. O____O
Thanks for reminding me.
I nearly forgot.
Might be why Chance does it sometimes.
[notify]
Barney-R.I.P

R.I.P my gorgous- boy

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 8:29am PST 
I've done animal care classes and dog behavior things and have never heard of that before and both my dogs do it mind you vets don't always know everything so don't always believe what they say if you can find no actual proof of it.
[notify]
Rosa

Assistant to the- Regional Manager

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 4:00pm PST 
Thanks all, I am very glad to hear this. Though I still wouldn't mind hearing from anyone else who has thoughts on the subject. smile

Thanks again!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 4:01pm PST 
It's very, very common for dogs to cover their noses when they sleep.

While I love real holistic medicine, it's very, very easy for someone to just make things up and call them symptoms and treatments. I don't believe this until I hear a good reason WHY a spleen issue would cause a dog to cover it's nose while it sleeps.

But hey, if it really bothers you, go to the vet and have her spleen checked out. As long as you have the money and the tests are non-invasive, there's no reason not to.
[notify]