GO!

Dog's allergic to Grass...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Toby

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 7:02am PST 
Any suggestions? We can't keep him off it. Thanks!big grin
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 9:35am PST 
What kind of grass is he allergic to? We got Harley tested and he is allergic to Timothy, Vernal, and Bahia grass. If you know what type of grass he is allergic to, you might be able to replace or change the grass you have. I don't know how practical that is for you, but it may be a thought. You can also do allergy shots if the allergy is severe enough, or you can look at dealing with the symptoms. We use Sulfodene Cold Tar Shampoo for dogs (you can also use T-Gel if you can't find the sulfodene) and the cold tar spray for itching issues. When his itching is real bad, we also give him benadryl.
[notify]
Daisy

throw the- ball!!!!- PLEASE!!!

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 10:21am PST 
Well, some people in high rises use a grass fake--like astroturf and just disinfect it constantly. Sounds labor intensive and potentially smelly though. You could just fence off an area of just dirt (rip up the grass in that area), and so he can still go on the ground, just in a grass free area. Some people have multiple fences in their yards too.....or you could go just all dirt, or all concrete, or all sand, or something like that, or rocks. Not as fun as grass but....

If you can find out which grass and tear up your grass and reseed it or sod it with a grass he isnt allergic to that would be ideal. You could even just fence off an area for him, that is the new grass you installed that he is not allergic too, and leave the rest--just keep him off it and in his "area".
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 10:46am PST 
Kolbe has grass allergies. I use organic raw apple cider vinegar (like Bragg's) in their water bowl, and I spritz down her feet, stomach and chest every day with a 1/4 apple cider vinegar 3/4 water spray. She used to get beet red feet and practically ate herself alive... this year not a trace of red, and she doesn't do the obsessive licking anymore.
[notify]
Bisou CGC- TDI

Boney Baloney- Face

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 11:08am PST 
Wow Kolbe, I'll have to pass that on! My friend/horse trainer has a beagle that is seriously allergic to grass. The vet prescribed steriods but they don't work well. He gets really bad hives and it looks like mange. He is a mostly indoor dog (she took him from her dads hunting kennel) but goes out on the farm to potty and play. It's kinda gross to pet him.
[notify]
Abby

The heartbeat at- Mommy's feet

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 11:17am PST 
My neighbor has a Boston Terrier/Chihuahua mix who is a allergic to grass. They got some anitbiotics from their vet and put plastic bags on the dogs feet.

Edited by author Thu Jul 3, '08 11:17am PST

[notify]
Gracie

Respect the- Gracie!

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 11:26am PST 
Gracie is severly allergic to grass... in the spring and summer she litterally chews herself raw in places... I bathe her every other day with a prescription shampoo that I got from the vet, but still she ends up chewing herself... Kolbe... I will DEFINATELY try t he apple cider vinager.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 11:36am PST 
It's worth a shot... and if it doesn't work, you (the human) can use it yourself, ACV has quite a lot of uses and health benefits. I recently saw Bragg's at my grocery store but if they don't have it there you can find it at places like GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe for about $3.00 a bottle. You can't use the regular Heinz ACV you find in the aisle at the grocery next to the regular vinegar because it's been processed. The raw, organic is a bit cloudy looking, and will clearly state what it is on the label.
[notify]
Delilah Ryan

Adopt one until- there is none

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 11:46am PST 
Yup, it should be raw, unfiltered and with "mother".
[notify]
Joey

50% Rugged Farm- Dog 50% Couch- Pooch

Barked: Thu Jul 3, '08 11:50am PST 
Thanks for the suggestion Kolbe!
Joey's allergic to grass and we've been giving him Benadryl like the vet said.
naughty
Natural alternatives would be better.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2