GO!

Itchy, Itchy, Itchy!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Gracie

Respect the- Gracie!

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '08 6:01am PST 
Every summer Gracie, for some reason, gets EXTREMELY itchy! She starts to shed horribly, and she scratches and chews at herself constantly! It is not food allergies... because it goes away when cooler weather arrives, but for the entire summer she scratches... she also gets hotspots on her belly/groin area. I give her Benadryl (vets advice) to help calm the itching down a bit... and I use itch relief cream on her... but this really only helps temperarily... Is their ANYTHING I could do to make her less itchy? And what could this be?
[notify]
KayCee

KayCee ,Our- Angel Face girl

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '08 7:23am PST 
Sounds like enviromental allergies. My KayCee was like that in spring and fall. She was allergic o live oak and pine pollen, bermuda grass, mold, fleas. and probably other stuff Not only did she get the itches, hot spots, she also would get ear infctions that antibiotics didn't seem to help. She had been on 3 different antibiotics this Spring for ear infection Was on her 3rd when I lost her to cancer 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

As for the hot spots, Gold Bond powder uually works great. Yes, I am talking aboutthe kidn you put on athletes foot. Clip the hair so it doen't stick to the spot, clean with peroxide, let it dry and then spinkle with te gold bond powder. I would use it 3-4 times a day. Almost every single one of us on all 5 golden forums I belong to keep gold bond powder and benadryl in our dog's mediine chest.
[notify]
Gabe the Dog

It's Gabe. Gabe- the Dog

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '08 11:12am PST 
we are pretty itchy also. We have our first hotspot every under our ear-eeek. Went to the vet, Gabe was put on antibiotics and a cortisone shot. Not the route I wanted to go, but the poor guy has been miserable. Besides goldbond power, I have also been told cornstarch will work as a drying agent and be nontoxic, my neighbor told be calamine lotion helped her dog, our vet said stick with dabbing with peroxide each day.
[notify]

KayCee

KayCee ,Our- Angel Face girl

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '08 12:43pm PST 
It is right to avoid those shots if possible, but sometimes the spot is so largte and deep that you just odn't have much choice. I remembver using corn starch on baby bottoms for diape rash. but never tred it for hot spot on my dos. Neer had a problme with them licking the Bold Bond either.

Itns't it amazing how a spot the size of a pencil erasre in the morning can be the size of a tea cup by night. I hate those things.
[notify]
Gracie

Respect the- Gracie!

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '08 7:50am PST 
Wow! Thanks guys! I have been using hydrocortizone creamm, and it seems to help the hot spots and temporarily help with the itching, but it once it dries it makes the hair stick together which probably irritates her more... so I will definately try the gold bond powder and peroxide! I am guessing she is probably allergic to grass... or fleas... I remember last year... when this started... she had gotten a few fleas, and even after we got rid of the fleas she was itchy... Now we keep them on flea preventative in the warmer months but, she could still get bitten by a flea... Poor little thing she seems so miserable. I will go get some gold bond today, and if that doesn't help... we'll have to go to the vet...frown
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '08 8:33am PST 
You can also use apple cidar vinegar diluted with water to help dry out a hot spot. way to go
[notify]
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '08 11:05am PST 
Trixie has pollen allergies....worse in summer than winter (we live in Southern California). We swear by local raw wild flower honey! Trixie gets 1 teaspoon twice a day, and it has made a huge difference for her. She no longer needs allergy medication or the allergy shots I used to have to give her. We find that the more local you can find the honey, the better it works. We get our honey from about 15 miles away.

As with any change, make sure your dog can tolerate the honey in her diet. It's definitely worth a try.
[notify]