GO!

Declawing dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Freddy

When are we- going for a car- ride?

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:21pm PST 
This post is from Freddy's mom!

I had never heard of declawing dogs before ... but this week we adopted 2 chi mixes from a 96 year old woman who had them completely declawed on the front feet because they were constantly jumping on her and tearing her thin skin. I guess she didn't know how to train them not to jump. Then seem OK now I guess. They walk normally. I was just surprised, b/c I'd never heard of anyone doing this to a dog. shrug
[notify]
Tango

just a goofy boy

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:24pm PST 
shock What kind of vet would do that ?! I am sorry if the owner was getting scratched.. my grandma has very delicate skin as well, but that's no solution!

Never heard of that and wish I hadn't! silenced
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:30pm PST 
Wow...I have never heard of this either..no vet I have ever known would have done such a thing. I understand the lady's skin issue but holy cow that is just plain cruel.

Chloe

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '08 2:54am PST 
Same kind of vet that would declaw a cat. Those that are out for $$$, even if cruelty is a prerequisite.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '08 5:59am PST 
OMD!!! How cruel crycry I oppose declawing in all shapes and forms but I have never heard of doing this to a dog. That is shameful for a vet to actually do it in the first place!crycry
[notify]
Bailey

Proudly- defending the- homefront

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '08 6:20am PST 
I don't like declaws, but I would hazard that dogs use their claws less then cats do (I've never seen my dog use her claws to catch herself when she's falling).

This is a 96 year old woman. Probably very frail. My grandmother at 83 would bruise at the slightest bump and had incredibly thin blood; a scratch by a dog would have meant a major hemorrhage. This woman may not be capable of training the dog consistently to not jump. Or trimming the dogs' nails constantly on her own. But this dog is her protection and companionship. Keep in mind, in situations like this, the alternative is usually euthanization.

I don't like it, but it's the lesser of two evils.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '08 6:46am PST 
Are they the two other dogs on your page? They are very young to have been living with a woman that age. What was she thinking getting two young dogs at her age. An older dog from a rescue sure but am guessing she got them as puppies! This is ridiculous.

They have been adopted now so perhaps she should have decided to have them adopted rather than cut off their toes! Ugh! This is making me angry thinking about the pain they must have been through for no reason! Big hugs to you for adopting them and to them of course.
hughughug

Edited by author Fri Jun 13, '08 6:46am PST

[notify]
Fern

Fernie..little- chocolate chip!

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '08 10:50pm PST 
Oh My Gosh! Poor little guys. You know I was thinking since the dogs were Chi's if those "soft paws" that you can put on cats would work....they come in several sizes. I sure feel like a vet should have recommended that. Like the others said, I can not believe a Vet in his right mind would have done that.frownfrown
[notify]
Kipper

I can get up- there!

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '08 4:21am PST 
My Vet said he has a lot of people ask him to declaw their dogs but he refuses. He is a personal friend so we talk about a lot of pet issues. He said that unlike cats, dogs use their claws to balance when they walk and that even though most overcome not having them, he feels that it is cruel to declaw a dog.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '08 4:50am PST 
But I'm sure he will declaw a cat won't he. Most vets in the US docry
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2