GO!

How long after spay?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sasha

Sweet Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 9:55am PST 
Sasha was spayed yesterday and the vet answered most of our questions but some came to mind today, I'll call back if need be. First of all she did great, my husband and I picked her up yesterday evening and all she wants right now is to be near her daddy (my husband) so she was a little upset when he went to work but is resting again.

She has the dissolvable stitches (they are on teh inside, I think they said).
Typically how long do you think that takes to heal?

How long until it's safe to bathe her?
(since we have another dog and don't want him to bother her cause of the smell from surgery, we waited 2 weeks with our male I think)

And stairs (we live on second floor apartment)
They don't want her outside until Saturday (they want her using puppy pads, there goes all the training we just got her off those and it is confusing her)
Will she be able to go up and down the stairs herself at that point without causing any problems with the incision?

She is doing wonderfully, she doesn't mess with the incision. The area she messes with the where they had the iv in her leg. Anyway I'm just wondering how most people did this, if I need to I'll call the vet clinic back for more info.

Also when do you think she will be able to be around her brother (by the way he is hyper and tends to hump) we are trying to keep them seperated for the duration of the next few days, but I don't want him to hurt her or cause her to hurt herself.

Anyways thanks
[notify]
Sasha

Sweet Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 10:54am PST 
no one know?
[notify]
Milo(4-13-08- 6/17/08)

RIP 6/17/08

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 11:00am PST 
when a friend of mine got her female spayed she had to wait 2 weeks until she could bathe her. but she could still go outside and go potty she didnt have to stay inside. after about 1 week they started walking her a short distance and by the 2 weeks she was walking her normal distance. she had her stitches taken out at 11 days in she was perfectly fine. her incision looked good. so it all depends on how much you restrict her activites
[notify]

Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 12:38pm PST 
Just like a human coming back from surgery...

I would keep her off of the stairs for at least a week. This may mean you carrying her up and down. shrug It may take longer for her to be stair-safe, so ask your vet.

Don't put water on the stitches for two weeks or as long as your vet tells you is safe.
[notify]
Maggie

Where's Angus?

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 1:01pm PST 
OMG! What a cutie! She looks like Scrappy Doo!
I'm almost certain it's 2 weeks that you have to keep them separated, but I'd call the vet, just in case.
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 1:05pm PST 
Ten days to two weeks as the other posters have said. I'm a little confused about the no going outside thing...I have never heard of that and I worked at a vet for 8 years!

Short leashed walks to do your business and no stairs or jumping about but you will be surprised how soon she will feel like doing all of these things! It is up to you to keep her quiet and confined when necessary. Cracker wanted to go go go in less than 48 hours and I really had to work to keep her from tearing around like a maniac. She was back to normal exercise within a week (leashed of course) and running in the park on day 14. They heal very quickly as long as they leave their incisions alone.
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 1:10pm PST 
No water on the incision for at least 10 days -- that's about how long it takes for it to close completely.

Too much activity can irritate the incision and cause the site to swell, which certainly doesn't help it heal.

thinking She should be able to go outside, but should be on a leash to do so. I just got Liv, my foster pup, spayed on Saturday and since she's not leash trained, I've got a corral set up outside so that she can take potty breaks without running around like crazy. I've also got the kitchen gated so that she can play in there but not do too much to bust her incision open.
Sasha

Sweet Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 1:33pm PST 
they don't want her going outside because I can't physically at the moment carry her up and down the stairs, not that she is heavy I just personally can't right now. To answer the going outside misuderstanding. That's the big thing. That ties in with the stairs though.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 5:32am PST 
Rosie had those stitches too (and special super glue to seal the incision shut which I expect Sasha has also). I healed up really quickly - within a week the incision had completely healed over - but all dogs are different. I did not restrict her at all - Rosie is not crated - I just didn't enourage her to play too much. She still went up and downstairs to and from the bedroom on her own (the first two days we carried her) but there was no stopping her doing it by herself. I think you just have to be careful that there is no rough play and over exertion for a week or so. I know the vet says two weeks but truthfully if you don't crate your dog there is no way to keep them quiet. Rosie was fine.
hug
[notify]
Chino

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '08 9:47am PST 
Our first Aussie was a jumper, so we had major problems after she was spayed. The day after her operation she was running around and jumping like crazy when I came over (divorced parents) anyhow before we could calm her down she tore her stitches and everything fell out silenced it was terrible!! bundled her up in blankets so she couldn't get at things and the vet fixed her up real good, put a cone on her after that then no problems! she went outside like normal but we didn't walk her for those 2 weeks we were terrified after what happened!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2