GO!

How dangerous is it for dogs to eat acorns

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 6:43am PST 
Just lately, Savannah has started eating the acorns off a willow oak that we have in our back yard. I guess she didn't get around to it last year, because she was very young when it started dropping them. But this year she seeks them out.

No apparent harm so far, but keeping an eye on it.
[notify]
Georgie

I Hate Rain

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 6:58am PST 
BOL i think large amounts of almost anything can be toxic to dogs big grin

Jack you are correct, when people eat acorns they do have to leech them, otherwise they tend to be really bitter and acidic.
I don't think you have to worry about him eating them, unless he just sits and eats tons and tons of them.
If he eats a whole bunch, just watch him to see if he has an upset tummy.

We have two huge black oaks in out back yard and yet i can't recall any of our dogs eating them. I wonder if it depends on the type of oak.
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 8:09am PST 
We have a baby red oak in the side yard of our place. I don't think it drops acorns yet, but now I'm sure I'll have to watch Siri when it does. He loves nuts! I can't eat peanuts or sunflower seeds without him insisting on his share, too! I'm pretty sure he'd eat any nut I gave him, but I'm not sure about what nuts might not be good for a dog. I figured peanuts were okay, since we give them peanut butter so much.
[notify]

Faith

Pretty girl!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 9:24am PST 
Faith and Barley eat acorns all the time. They both get very bad gas from the acorns. Faith has also gotten a hemmoroid from trying to pass them. Acorns are hard to digest and if you look at the poop alot of times they come out whole or in big pieces. I asked my vet about it and she said they are not necessarily bad but, very hard to digest. wave
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 9:27am PST 
For smaller dogs, acorns pose a big risk for intestinal blockages, if the dog just swallows it whole instead of chewing it up.
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 11:02am PST 
for the chewing...what about spicy? i found cayenne pepper, rubbed on (dry or paste) keeps dogs from chewing ANYTHING...i used paste on woods and stuff easy to clean and dry on furniture...and there's no smell for you!
[notify]
Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 11:11am PST 
For chewing we use dawn dishwashing liquid.... straight from the bottle.

It may make your dog foam at the mouth, do don't be afraid!laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

Works for cats, too!way to go I mean cats that chew, not to stop a dog from chewing on a cat!kitty
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 12:09pm PST 
Acorns mostly cause GI upset in dogs and can cause obstructions if they swallow them whole. It is the tannins in them that someone mentioned earlier that cause the tummy upset. Acorns have proven to be toxic in cattle, sheep and horses but that is because the consume LARGE amounts over several weeks. The same can hold true for a dog if they injest large amounts over several weeks. So routine raking to get the majority of the acorns should keep your pup safe. Again, my biggest concern would be obstruction if he is swallowing them whole.
[notify]
Sunday

Rock on with- your big ears!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 12:49pm PST 
Sunday loves acorns! I am constantly trying to avoid them every walk. The only side effect she has is bad gasred face
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 1:13pm PST 
Savvy has no problem with blockage, since the acorns are tiny and she is very large. But I wonder how toxic they are. She did toss cookies the other day, but I suspect that had to do with the mouthful of horse pucky she grabbed when I was not looking.

urg.

silenced
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2