GO!

Red Cedar Mulch and Dog Health

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dakota

Let It Snow

Barked: Thu Apr 10, '08 8:22pm PST 
I'm planning to put some mulch in my yard where Dakota uses the washroom. Right now in that spot all there is is mud. So I want to buy some mulch and was wondering if there were any health risk for Dakota that I should know about?
[notify]
chester

chester- the counter- cruiser-woof

Barked: Thu Apr 10, '08 10:08pm PST 
THE CEDAR SHOULLD BE OKAY , I THINK ITS ONLY THE COCOA MULCH YOU HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR.
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 8:32am PST 
I don't think the Red Cedar Mulch will be an issue, the cocoa beans are the ones to worry about for obvious reasons. They smell AMAZING but its not worth the risk if you have dogs. blue dog
[notify]

Daphne

Happy New Year!

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 8:44am PST 
Our dogs like to chew on the mulch in the backyard sometimes. The vet told me the plain cedar mulch and the pine bark nuggets are safe. We stay away from the colored mulch, the mulch treated with chemicals to repel bugs and of course the cocoa mulch.
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 10:33am PST 
I think they should be fine to put down, as long as they haven't been treated with anything. The other concer would be if they ingest them. Sometimes they can cause an obstruction if your dog eats a lot of them. This is a fairly rare thing, but depending on the individual dog and their likelihood of eating things, this can be a big risk.
[notify]
Loki

Big Baby Boy

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 11:22am PST 
Loki munches on the cedar mulch every now and then, with no ill effect. Except when it's the red stuff, he gets nice stains on his white parts!
[notify]