GO!

Lump on lower eyelid

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Winnie

Kickin butt now,- takin names- later

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 8:47am PST 
So yesterday I was kissing on Winnie. (She doesnt seem fond of it, but she humors me!laugh out loud) When I looked closely at her eye I noticed what looked like a lump on her lower eyelid. I thought maybe it was a goober (technical term) because she gets those frequently. I tried to wipe it away, but it is actually a lump. It is on the lower lid on the rim. I will call the vet tomorrow of course, but does anyone have an idea of what it could be? She has a papilloma on her nose, but it doesnt look like that. It looks like the area has swelled up right there. She didn't injure herself that I know of, she was at work with me on Saturday and we are together pretty much 24/7. She doesnt paw at it or act in pain either. I am so freakish about her health since I dont know too much about her past and we keep finding these little issues out along the way.

TIA for any help or suggestions.
[notify]
Winnie Lam

Squeaker- Killer...Qu'est-- ce que c'est!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 9:06am PST 
Hi, Winnie! I'm named Winnie, too!

Lots of possibilities, the best of which is something called a chalazion. Basically, these specialized glands associated with your eyelids sometimes get plugged up and the body elicits a local inflammatory response to the sebaceous material that gets trapped inside. People get them, too (you've probably heard of eye "sties"). Papilloma is another possibility. Of course, doggies like people can get tumors associated with eyelids, including melanoma. Best to have your vet check it out. If the mass is big enough, he or she may try doing some exfoliative cytology, or perhaps will need to biopsy it to figure out what it is.

Best of luck.
[notify]
Winnie

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 1:13pm PST 
Thank you for the advice. I was leaning towards it being a sty or papilloma but I am definately checking it out with the vet. I am such a worry wort!
[notify]

Mandy

Mighty Mighty- Rattie Gurl

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 11:56pm PST 
I had a small bump on my lower eyelid. The vet told mom is was nothing to worry about unless it bothered me. After about a year I started scratching it until it bled. The vet took it off and biopsied it. I was benign--she said most of them are. And I am happy as can be.
[notify]
Winnie

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '08 8:22am PST 
I checked on her eye this morning and the lump was gone! Crazy, maybe she did irritate it somehow that I didnt see. I will keep an eye on it though. Thanks pup pals for the advice!
[notify]
Mandy

Mighty Mighty- Rattie Gurl

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '08 8:32am PST 
I love when those ailments disappear and save me a vet visit!
[notify]