GO!

Kira has "the squirts" :(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kira

I'm just a- little brown- bear!

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 7:34am PST 
So Kira has had diarrhea for the past 36 hours or so. She's eating, drinking and acting normally she just has to go out every 2 hours or so for a potty break (including all night long...). At this point I'm not sure what I should do yet. How long should I wait before going to the vet? Should we fast her? Give her pumpkin? The poor little girl made a mess in her crate yesterday while we were at work- she couldn't wait until lunch time to go out frown

She hasn't had any food changes *but* we did start giving Helix a new kibble (Nature's Variety Instinct Turkey & Duck) and Kira snuck about half a bowl before I noticed she was eating it. This coincided with the diarrhea, so that certainly could be it. I'm hoping by preventing her from eating any more of it, the diarrhea will go away. BTW she's eating Orijen Puppy. She could also need to be dewormed again, but she's been on an anti-parasitic for a while because of her ear (which is healing nicely!) so that might cover worms too.

Ah the trials of having 2 dogs- twice the illness to deal with!
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 9:21am PST 
did you try putting Kira on a rice and boiled chicken diet? If she has diarehha boiled chicken and rice usually helps.

Basically, mom has a 48 hour rule...if I seem pretty normal but have diarehha mom will take me in if she sees no improvement. However, if I just keep getting worse (vommiting, lethargic), she will take me in sooner.
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 9:26am PST 
If you haven't tried the pumpkin yet I would give it shot. It almost always works with us. At least she doesn't feel sick which is good. Hope the back end starts feeling good soon too. big grin
[notify]

Montecristo- (Monte)

That'll do, pig

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 9:32am PST 
Personally, I would try fasting.

In nature, when animals feels sick, they don't eat. They naturally fast themselves. Fasting helps the body cleanse itself and do a bit of detox. I would skip a day of food (at least one), only providing water or maybe some chicken broth.

I know it sounds "mean," but it's not. It's how a dog would heal themselves if they were feeling sick.

If you are uncomfortable with fasting, chicken and rice and/or pumpkin might help the symptoms, but I don't know if they'll address the underlying issues of a stomach that might have a flora imbalance. If you go the pumpkin or chicken and rice route, I highly advocate probiotics and digestive enzymes to help her belly through this.

I have tried the chicken/rice and the pumpkin before and they work well, but now I would try fasting first and if that didn't work, would go to the vet.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
[notify]
Kira

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 6:44am PST 
OK, so we've fasted her for 24 hours now (she was pooping a lot less last night) and now she's eating a breakfast of brown rice and pumpkin. Hopefully she handles that well, otherwise we'll be off to the vet.
[notify]
Montecristo- (Monte)

That'll do, pig

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 7:20am PST 
Good luck, Kira cutie pie!

Hopefully, the dire-rear is nearing it's end!
[notify]
Nolee

Nolee - Mom's Lil- Shadow!

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 7:24am PST 
Having a similar problem with Nolee. Started yesterday. I kept him off food, only water yesterday. Today chicken and rice. Thank goodness he only went once at 4:30 this morning. Hopefully it will quit soon. We have been through this before. Seems to me too often. I have not change anything. Anyway he seems to be doing better. Hope Kira gets better as well!!! I believe the bland diet helps them alot!!! Let's keep our fingers cross that this will be over today!!eek
[notify]
Kira

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 12:39pm PST 
Woohoo! My husband went home at lunch to let Kira and Helix out for a potty break and she didn't have diarrhea in her crate today (she has the past two days). In fact, she didn't even go poop at all while he was home so I'm hoping that's a good thing and the worst has past.
[notify]
Turbo

My name says it- all!

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '08 12:45pm PST 
I've always used white rice mixed with chicken boullion or beef, just to make 'em eat the rice. It's worked every time.
[notify]