GO!

She fell down the stairs!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Jasmine

Makes Puppy- Faces To Get- Food

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '08 12:06pm PST 
ok on Saturday night it was about half past midnight. i was in bed and Jasmine was resting under it. suddenly she came out from under there and started making a fuss at the side of my bed. i was gonna leave her alone but then she started whining. i figured she had to go outside so i took her to go downstairs.

as soon as we got to the stairs, she started sniffing them and pacing. she looked scared to go down there. so i was gonna go get my mom so that we could help her down together. but as soon as i got near the steps, she started going down them. the stairs were too narrow for me to get down and help her, so i waited at the top. gosh i was so nervous.

she seemed really wobbly going down. suddenly she slipped and slid down about half the stairs before landing on her side at the bottom. luckily, she got up right away, but she was limping.

the next morning, her shoulder had swelled so that my mom called her "the hunchback." she can walk and trot fine but i haven't seen her go faster than that yet.

obviously, we're gonna take her to the vet. but what can i do for her in the meantime?
[notify]
Sakura (Chi Chi Baby)

Everyone Loves a- Chi Chi Baby

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '08 12:18pm PST 
Something similar happened to Sakura not long ago.
Only she fell off the couch and hurt her leg. c:
When this happened, until we could get her to the vet, we watched her carefully. We made sure she didn't do anything that could harm it even more.
When she wanted down the steps to go outside, we lifted her up. And, we made sure her, Cinnamon, Sandy and Lilo didn't rough house too much. c:
She turned out being fine. But, it's best to keep an eye on them when this kinda stuff happens. c:
And, if your dog fell down the stairs, her condition is most likely worse.
I hope she's okay.
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '08 12:32pm PST 
Oh jeez! I hope she feels better soon! That musta scared you. Can you call the vet and ask if it's okay to put heat or ice on the inflammation? I'm not in the medical field, so I can't suggest anything other than that.
I know some vets will say to give them advil (or anacin, forget which one) and will tell you how much for your dog's size. Thing is, if she doesn't feel the pain, she might end up hurting herself more.
hug
[notify]

Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '08 1:38pm PST 
you can ice and heat...alternate both for an hour each, with an hour break in between...best thing until you hit the vet smile

feel better soon!
[notify]
Lucy Louise

Just call me- Grandma.

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '08 3:24pm PST 
Agreed, Arko! Jeez. That's horrible. Lucy jumped down the stairs one time, and it might've been the scariest moment of mom's life thinking that her back had gone out. Turns out it hadn't, but it was still horrible though no lasting damage was done, thank Dog! Good luck! Crate rest, though hated by most pups, is what we recommend. way to go
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '08 5:25pm PST 
A note about the anti inflammatorys.....DO not give acetaminophen (tylenol) as it is toxic to dogs, I'm not sure about advil (ibuprofen) or anacin. The only one safe to give is buffered aspirin and even that should be in very small amounts to prevent stomach upset (the buffering of the aspirin helps but if your dog has a sensitive stomach it may cause problems).
Ice and heat are the best , as Arko recommended.
Jasmine

Makes Puppy- Faces To Get- Food

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '08 7:11pm PST 
ok so just an update.
we took Jaz to the vet today and he said that the swelling was likely not injury-related. he took a sample and sent it to the lab, and we should get results in less than 5 days.
he said it's probably lymphomic (spelling? i typed it just as a heard it..) but it could be a heart condition. poor girl frown

anyways thanks for the replies!! big grin
[notify]