GO!

Make him slow down!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Roscoe the- Racehound&tr- ade;

Faster than a- speeding- jack-rabbit

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:05am PST 
Well Roscoe has taken to eating very fast lately. H e barely chews his food, and finishes it from anywhere from thirty seconds to 1 minute. I was going to post this question before but I realized that someone already had, and I looked at the responses. Someone said try putting tennis balls in the bowl so he has to push them around to get to the food.
I tried that.
It didn't really work-it seemed like he ate faster, and then he just politely took the two tennis balls out of his bowl and continued scarfing his food
Somone else said try getting bigger kibble. I feed Roscoe Wellness Super5mix Chicken for his sensitive stomach....I don't know if they have any bigger kibble and I just bought a fourty pound bag..... so I think I'll need to wait a bit.

Any suggestions on this? And what are the downs about him eating so fast-except the fact of choking...which he does pretty often. Any idea as to why he's eating so fast?? I usually leave him alone to eat-just incase he feels threatened...shrug
[notify]
Winston

give me that- pickle!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:19am PST 
There are some bowls out there that claim they help dogs eat slower, not sure if they work...

i've heard eating there food that fast causes bloat, not sure if it's true. I work at a kennel and when dogs eat too quickly we add water. This does'nt make them eat any slower so I have no idea why we do it and i've never asked why ( maybe I should)

Has any one heard about this causing bloat? I've seen dogs with bloat and I know eating only one meal, eating on the floor when the dog is tall and running an hour after meals can cause bloat, how about eating fast?
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:20am PST 
You can give him his food in portions, or there are bowls designed for this. Let me see if I can find them....

http://www.superhappypets.com/anti-bloat_bowl.html

Th ere it is. Eating too fast can also cause Bloat which is life threatening. I usually add water to make sort of a gravy so the dogs have to lick it up instead. But I have heard that adding water to kibble can cause bloat also.... so now if I notice them eating too fast I pick the bowl up and wait a minute or two. But they seem to know now that they don't have to scarf their food. For you I would recommend trying the portioned way. Give him 1/3 (or however you want to do it) wait a few minutes and give him another portion... until it is gone.

Maybe that will help??
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:23am PST 
Yea I've heard of eating fast causing bloat. And the Vet warned me about that. And I split his food up into two meals so he's not eating so much so fast.

I also tried putting his food in water, it doesn't really work-it just sounds ickier when he eats.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:25am PST 
I hope it works! Thanks you two!!!!

And before he eats... I make him sit & wait. Then I walk around and do things while keeping him on his wait command and the bowl is on the floor. As soon as I say okay he rushes over to the bowl and he scarfs it down.
Do you think this has anything to do with him eating too fast?
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:28am PST 
Maybe the anticipation is too much! laugh out loud

Try making him sit and then giving it to him right away. It might not make a difference because some dogs just love their food. But it's worth a try!
[notify]
Daisy

throw the- ball!!!!- PLEASE!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 11:01am PST 
In addition to the tennis ball, I read on here a heavy rock in his bowl might help.

I would try those bowls.

Maybe you could give him his food in a toy that makes him work for it and only gives him a few kibbles at a time? That way he cant eat it fast.

I think the anticipation might be too much too, maybe give it right away....but id at least try the special bowl.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 12:57pm PST 
thanks daisy i will try the rock.
Even if i give him the food immediately he eats like he's starving . One thing i have been trying is tossing his food out in the yard. This way he has to use his nose to find the pieces and it lasts longer
[notify]
Jillian

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 1:05pm PST 
If you have the space to accommodate, you can simply scatter his food across the floor and have him sort of scavenge for it. Or, you can give him is meals via a Kong so he has to work for it and he obviously won't be able to get to it all at once.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 2:49pm PST 
Our lab scarfs. Like he doesn't chew his food at all. He was a rescue from a large kennel with tons of dogs which is where I think that comes from. Our vet suggested adding water to his kibble (but it sounds like you've already tried that with not much luck). We fill a gallon bucket and put his food right in. It's a must for Trigger because otherwise he'll actually choke on his kibble and whimper when the dry bits get stuck in his throat frown

I suppose it's never really gotten him to eat slower, just aids in digestion and keeps him from hurting himself. He eats tennis balls if allowed to have them unattended so I'm sort of at a loss as far as this is concerned too.shrug

I hope you figure out something that works for Roscoe soon!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3