GO!

Chewable pepto bismol?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 8:46pm PST 
I gave Skip and Sally some leftover cooked boneless pork and now they have the pukes and poops. They puked the pork up and the poop is going to be diarrhea soon, the poop I found in the living room floor was partial solid and partialy runny. If it's OK I'd like to give them some pepto so soothe their bellies. What would the dosage of chewable tablets be for one 50lb dog and one 65lb dog?

Thank you!
P.S. Tessa didn't get any of the pork, she is allergic to cooked pork and always pukes and poops allot if she gets it
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 8:51pm PST 
I do not think pepto is good for dogs. Check with your Vet before giving them anything.

Pepcid was what we were told to use for Cherry when she was on chemo.
[notify]
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 9:08pm PST 
Pepto-Bismol is fine for dogs. That's my treatment of choice (vet recommended) when I seem to be getting the runs (Mom knows when it's coming as I get a lot of music in my tummy). I even got so used to it that when I see the spoon I open my mouth and then lick the spoon all clean!
[notify]

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 9:50pm PST 
Yep it is fine!
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 10:24pm PST 
You might just want to let this run it's course, though it might mean some clean-up! Pepto Bismol's active ingredient is a chemical compound called "bismuth subsalicylate". Salicylates are the same family of drugs that make Asprin, and though Aprin and other salicylates can be used relatively safely in dogs it's probably best not to mess with it if you don't feel you HAVE to. "Proper" dosage isn't quite a simple as a kid's dose, though working out dose by weight using the children's recommended dose is probably the best way to figure it aside from asking your vet.

Their bodies are trying to get rid of something that didn't agree with them. Using drugs to cover up the problem is probably going to result in having to deal with possibly less severe symptoms, but for a longer amount of a time, as well as potential side-effects of the drug itself.

Hoping that this isn't actually as bad as you think it might be, but I know that you know your dogs "inside and out", so I'm wishing you the strong stomach to deal with it! wink

[Given the public nature of this forum it's worth noting that eating large amount of things like cooked pork can cause or contribute to an overload on the pancreas, so if you see signs of pancreatitis you shouldn't waste any time getting to the vet.]
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 11:07am PST 
The pups are fine now! They were in my bedroom the intire night (as usual) and there were no more messes! They both had a nice meal of deer this morning and are completely fine now. They do get left overs every once in a while but I think the reason it upset they're tummies was because they caught on fire when dad was cooking them. They wern't "burnt" but the outside was crisp. I have to admit, I did give them some pepto (I searched the forum and figured out the dosage). I just didn't want my father getting mad about poopies all over the house. Next time depending on the cercumstances I won't give them anything, but hopefully there won't be a next time. wink
[notify]
Temper - Goodbye Good- Girl

I'm a dog.- Nothing more,- nothing less.

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 4:41pm PST 
Our first aid for dogs says Pepto is fine. It gives dosages. We have used it for our dogs. We find that the liquid is more effective than the chew tabs, but it can be a bit messier to give.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 5:28pm PST 
That's one thig I forgot to mention in my last post, I used the liquid version. I thought we only had the chewables but I found liquid and used it.
[notify]
Maizie

Barked: Tue May 3, '11 5:22pm PST 
Sorry I know this is a very old thread but I think its still relevant considering I just found it while searching for pepto dosage for my girl. Just wanted to add when the diarrhea is moderate or strictly food related I would start with pumpkin before pepto. It will help firm up the stools without restricting the total passage of whatever toxins they are trying to excrete. I try to balance their comfort with the length and other symptoms of illness before making a decision. Unfortunately i think Jennica still isn't getting better.frown I'm still looking for reliable dosing info for liquid, pills, chewables. She's a 50 lb (approx) rott mix and I'm a very worried mama
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Tue May 3, '11 6:19pm PST 
You can give pepto, just be careful to read the label... some of the formulas has acetaminophen in them! I believe that my vet told me that the dosage was 1mg per pound of body weight.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3