GO!

ear dirt? is it normal?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Coco

Mommy's adorable- shadow

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '08 10:58pm PST 
Hey all, well we took in a foster who had a little bit of dirt in his ears, and so we just cleaned everyones ears! We hadnt noticed their ears previously, we just would do the ear liquid every so often. So, I was looking at Coco's ears tonight and noticed some gunk, so I took a q-tip and put it in there, wiggled it around and it came out brown........

She had ear mites when we got her (like over 2 years ago) and she was treated, but could the foster have given the mites to everyone? Or do dog's ears just get some brown dirt in them normally?

Anyone? Im confused!
[notify]
Treble

The Analytical- One

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '08 11:43pm PST 
Usually the wax and debris that is removed from a dog's ear is this brownish color (unless there is a severe infection). The volume, the smell and the color are all determining factors in the health of a dog's ear. If there is an abnormal amount of debris, the skin in and around the ear is darker pink and irritated or the ear has a strong odor, I would be concerned. A mild yeast infection would not have a smell yet and neither would mites (these are all generalities). Ear mites are picked up in the soil and usually if one dog has them there is a good possibility (but not always a definite) that the others may have them as well. The only way to determine this and get treatment is to make a trip to the vet to get an ear swab and have it checked for mites under the microscope. However, yeast infections need to be determined by a differential slide... but an ear swab none-the-less. There is no other way to definitively determine whether your dog has ear mites. I hope this helps!
[notify]
Zoey

A little love is- all I need!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 5:34pm PST 
Both my girls had ear mites when I got them, and Zoey had all over mange when I adopted her. My vet said the ear wax should be brown normally, esp with dogs whose ears stand up and pick up more debris. However you should be concerned when its really dark almost black, and I remember when the vet cleaned the pups ears when they had ear mites it was sure enough deep dark almost black in color.

Might I ask what type of flea/tick prevention you use? My girls were started on Revolution because it treats ear mites and mange, if you by any chance use that, I don't think you should be too concerned!

Oh! and let me not forget, I have to swab Roxie's ears often and the stuff thats a bit deeper down in the ear is almost always a tint of brown.

Edited by author Tue Feb 19, '08 5:37pm PST

[notify]

Coco

Mommy's adorable- shadow

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 8:26pm PST 
We use Frontline Plus and Heartgard plus, Ill have to look into the Revolution, but i remember thinking I liked the frontline with heartgard better. (not that i recall why!) But my girls have always been on that, and done so good on it, we never have had any flea problems, but maybe ill look into it. Maybe there is something else I can give them to help prevent ear mites? We foster often, and I wonder if I could find something else!

Edited by author Tue Feb 19, '08 8:26pm PST

[notify]
Zoey

A little love is- all I need!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '08 4:48am PST 
I'll be completely honest, I dont remember the details on what the other products do and dont protect from. We started the girls on it because Zoey had mange/mites, and continued them on it because it just seemed to fit the best compared to the other products. And to be completely honest again, haha, I know I compared the products and chose Revolution for a reason beyond just the mange/mites, but I'll be dammed if I remember all the specific reasons a year later haha. Can always call and ask your vet, thats how we helped decide. She went through the products. gave her recommendation by what the products had to offer for the lifestyle of my lil chi's, and Revolution just fit.

If you are still concerned that there are ear mites going around with your babies, however, hopefully a quick call to the vet can help ease your concern one way or another. Assuming your vet is as easy to work with as mine. I know I've read on here that a lot of people get horrible vets that are just looking for money! Shame Shame!!
[notify]