GO!

Dry Skin/ Fish oil?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bear and- Bambi - Mommys- Angels

My Sweet Angels

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 8:43am PST 
Have any of you ever given your dog fish oil for dry skin? Her coat is kinda dull too. I thought there was a thread on this, but I cannot find it. If youhave given fish oil to your dogs, is it human pills, and how much do you give them? Thanks for any help!!!dog
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 8:51am PST 
Hi, Bear & Bambi!!

Here is one of the threads about oils and dry skin...

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/4 92033

There was another a few days ago titled "Dandruff".

We use salmon oil, along with great quality foods and all the pups are looking great! Fungi is the one that really has issues with dry skin sometimes (allergies).

Oh and someone also recommended a coconut shampoo. That is under the Dandruff thread.

Hope this helps...
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 10:47am PST 
I think its a winter issue, but start off with high quality food if you arent on already, usually dogs with food allergies like mine are prone to dandruff, fish formulas help eliminate a lot of it. I did try fish oil, 4 capsules a day, plus nupro and another coat supplement with oils, vitamin e and zinc, it made his coat shinier, but still dry. So right now hes on grizzly salmon oil with 600 I.U of vitamin E and 2 regular fish oils(from costco), we'll see if that makes any difference, I also have the humidifier running all day to help with skin.
[notify]

Glady Jo

I am weenie,- behold my roar!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 11:02am PST 
Yes, I give Glady fish oil for her skin and coat. Right now I'm not because she's got giardia, so I'm laying off the oil until she gets better. But it does make a dog's coat beautiful and is great if they have skin problems. My dog gets the 3V caps from the vet. I just puncture the little gelcap and squirt it on her food.
[notify]
Daisy

throw the- ball!!!!- PLEASE!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 12:57pm PST 
hi, im the one who posted the "dandruff" thread, and while it could still be walking dandruff,,,,,you never know, I wanted to report that now after eating premium food for almost a week and getting lots of that Nutristat gel vitamin supplement stuff, we have improvement!

He has less dandruff and dry skin, so things are starting to look up.

Does anyone know if either feeding some olive or canola oil, or putting on his coat as a moisterizer (and then shamppooing it off after a little bit) would be helpful? We are in the middle of nowhere, and I dont know where to go to find salmon oil or anything like that. maybe I could find like human vitamin e in caplets at walmart.....any ideas?
[notify]
Barley

I'm a lover not- a fighter

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 1:05pm PST 
You can also use Vitamin E pills also. When we first got Barley (Katrina rescue) his skin was gross. Between the scabs, the dry skin and the horrible odor he omitted we started using the E pills and they worked great. He is also currently on fish oil but, that we are using for his joints.
[notify]
molly

wiggle- wiggle- bum!!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 1:24pm PST 
i bought Krunch 100% salmon oil for mollys skin! she had dry patches on her back.. ive been using it for about 6 days now and her dry skin has gone!! i dont know if the oil is the full reason for this but it seems to have worked miracles!!
[notify]
Coco

Mommy's adorable- shadow

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 1:26pm PST 
ok this maybe a dumb question, but are you feeding these oils or putting it on their skin?

Where do you buy the salmon oil and stuff? Is it in a bottle like a liquid?
[notify]
Barley

I'm a lover not- a fighter

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 1:41pm PST 
I do the pills for both. The fish oil I buy in bulk at Sam's club and I did the same for the vitamin E.
[notify]
Lyra

Feed me again!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 6:11pm PST 
I get a special fish oil supplement from my vet. It is specially formulated for dogs. It's called Derm Caps and we can get it in a pump bottle or gel caps. It has helped me a lot. I also have a special shampoo from the vet because my oil glands get clogged and it makes my coat dull. The shampoo has made a huge difference too!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2