GO!

Do our dogs know that we love them?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Minnie

Princess of- Lardner Court

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 7:03pm PST 
Do our dogs know that we love them? How do they know?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place; I didn't know where else to put this question.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 7:05pm PST 
Of course they do. smile
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 7:11pm PST 
Yes they know.
[notify]

Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 7:23pm PST 
Nope !!! They are like this countries allies , as long as we send them money , they are our friends as for the dogs as long as we feed them , give them water & scratch their bellies /hinneys , they will let us hang out with them ..... BOL .... Honest !!
Thor dancing
PS when a dog licks your face , it is not a kiss its to see what you last ate !!
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 7:28pm PST 
I would like to think they love me. I certainly love them.
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 8:45am PST 
Thor, you don't give them enough credit. Did you see the video of the pup whose friend had been hit by a car, and he stood in the middle of the street trying to get his friend to get up and go with him?

This reminds me of the one pup we fostered. It was during Hurricane Ivan. Some people down the street had taken the collars off their dogs and let them loose, just before they left town to evacuate. Their black lab came to our house 2 days before the hurricane. We fed her, and she stayed around. When we started packing up to evacuate, she layed under the trailer (we were planning to take her with us, but she didn't know that). She had scars, a flat dull coat, and was thin. We took her with our dogs, cats, and turtles and went to grandmothers. She stayed right by me the entire time. We actually had to crate Harley (he was barely 1 year old at the time) because he was too hyper. Ivan turned at the last minute and went and beat up Florida. When we got home, I couldn't let her go back to what she had come from. But, I knew that living so close to them, we couldn't keep her. So, I worked hard and found her a home in the next town with a vet tech. We stayed in touch, and went and saw her a month later. She looked so much better. When we first walked in, she went and hid. (They said that was unusual). Then, I called her Sweety (what we called her). She came running to me. I sat down next to her and she wrapped her arms around my arm. Did she not know that I loved her? Did she not know that we rescued her and gave her a better home? Hershey sits up on her hind legs and wraps her arms around me (a hug) when I have to go somewhere or have to leave her at day care. Harley wakes me up every morning with kisses. Dogs are very much capable of emotion. If they are capable of feeling it, they are capable of feeling the receipt of it.
[notify]
Glady Jo

I am weenie,- behold my roar!

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 12:16pm PST 
I believe that our dogs love us. When my brother was in college he got it in his head that he needed a big dog for his fraternity! Well, you can imagine that lasted a little less than a semester. Beau the akita came home to my parents' house at Thanksgiving and stayed. That was ten years ago, and Beau still gets so excited when he sees my brother that he piddles.

Likewise, my old dog Pansy had to go live with my mom for a while because I couldn't keep her where I was. Long story. Anyways, when I came home, you better believe that Pansy wanted to sleep with me. This dog had fear aggression like nobody's business with everyone except me and my mom, and I think it's cuz we gained her trust and she loved us.

I have three dogs right now. Two of them are rescues, and their situations were not the greatest, especially Glady's. Though I had to gain their trust just like I did with Pansy, I know they love me now. Glady was a dog who wouldn't come out from under the bed or out of the corner she was so afraid of abuse. Now, Glady has blossomed, and one thing that I notice most is that her tail NEVER stops wagging around me. I think that adopted rescues seem to grasp the fact that they're really lucky.

I dunno. I think that if a dog can feel fear and can learn to trust, then it can probably feel attachment as well. Call it attachment, call it love, call it what you like. I think dogs definitely know that we love them.
[notify]
molly

wiggle- wiggle- bum!!

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 1:36pm PST 
OMD Hershey we sure are glad we didnt see that video!!!

I was thinking about this topic before- seen as though we've only had Bailey 3 weeks, i find myself constantly training him (hes a little monster) so i have wondered if he actually knows that i love him! i am finding that i am telling him NO more than giving him praise and treats confused...so i dont think he thinks i love him yet!!

But i know that Molly knows i love her (cos shes good and gets lots of cuddles, praise & treats!!).

I would be darn mad if someone had hard evidence which proved they had no idea we loved them!! id love to know if there was any evidence out there which proved they do know we love them!
[notify]