GO!

Dog ate plastic bag

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Greta, CGC

Please pet me,- PLEASE, PLEASE,- PLEEEEZE!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 6:56pm PST 
So we came home today to find a pile of regurgitated items at the top of the staircase. The only loose dog while we are at work is Greta, our Swissy. She has never gotten in the trash before, but today she decided to eat 4 dryer sheets and a plastic Kohl's shopping bag which contained some tags from my clothes and a receipt. I found all this after sifting through the pile with rubber gloves. To the best of my knowledge she vomited back up a little more than 1/2 of the bag, which she had torn into pieces luckily and didn't swallow whole. So I guess my question is how concerned should I be about the remainder of the plastic bag. It was about the size of a grocery store shopping bag, maybe a little bigger, and like I said I can account for just over 1/2 of it. Obviously I'll watch for vomiting and gagging and bloat and make sure that she's pooping regularly. Any other signs of trouble I should look for? frown
[notify]
Telly Lam

Never met a- lampost I- couldn't pee on

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 7:04pm PST 
Those are the main signs to look for, especially gagging and vomiting. The others are lethargy, acting more quiet than normal, or if you perceive her being painful. If you notice any of these, especially if vomiting is protracted (very frequent, many times in a row) I'd get her to the vet ASAP. The biggest risk of any foreign object ingested is obstruction...but I have seen plastic bags eaten with very little incidence (i.e. passed in the stool). It kind of all depends on how big the shards are, where they are, what other things might also be in the mix...

If you have any specific questions (about symptoms that come up in the overnight hours) or immediate, emergent concerns, I'd have the number of your local emergency vet clinic handy (or your regular vet, if he or she has on-call service): even if you aren't sure if you need to bring her in, you can always give them a call, and a veterinary technician or veterinarian can talk you through things. Good luck!
[notify]
Spuds "The- Angel Potato- Head"

Thinking of my- pal Troop!!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 7:48pm PST 
Make sure gums remain pink too!!

Good luck!!! hughughug
[notify]

♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 10:58pm PST 
hughugGretahughug Good luck. Hope it passes quickly for you.dog
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 11:01pm PST 
It's gross, but when Max ate the sole of one of my shoes, the vet did X-Rays, etc, and told me that it should pass... That said, geuss how I had to make sure it was passing.... yep, check the poo. big grinshockconfusedthinking

So, If you really want to know, don some latex gloves and feel in the poo for pieces. In your case, it might be easier, because it should be a different color from the poo. Basically, that is the easiest way to know if it is passing or not. If you don't see anything, or if you can't poo at all (or any of the other symptoms!)- then off to the vet you go. We're pulling for you! way to go
[notify]
Greta, CGC

Please pet me,- PLEASE, PLEASE,- PLEEEEZE!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '08 10:30am PST 
So far, so good. She seems to be acting perfectly normal and she's eating and pooping regularly. We'll see how it goes over the next few days! Thanks everybody!
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '08 11:06am PST 
Good luck Greta, we hope you will be ok!!!

The Quigsterdog
[notify]
Elvis

the- distinguished- gentleman

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '08 12:47pm PST 
Silly Greta. Glad your felling OK. I ate a rubber chicken onceshock

The most concerning part of what you ate is the 4 dryer sheets. For the most part, the bag and it's contents will come out the other end, but dryer sheets are on the ASPCA toxic list. The plus is that you are a BIG kid. Make sure you have plenty of fluid and gums look good and pink. Keep an eye on ears too. They should look pink and a bit warm, but not hot. A call to the vet to get any other tips may be a good idea and will set mom's worry at ease. cloud 9
[notify]
whiskey

im not- grumpy!!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '08 2:55pm PST 
you ate a plastic bag?? i would definatly go to the vet! its best to be safe isnt it!!

let us know how you get on!
[notify]
Miles

Woof!Woof!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '08 3:04pm PST 
Greta! It sounds like you had a great time while your pawrents were gone, didn't you!? As for the plastic bag, I wouldnt worry too much. It sounds like she ripped it to shreds before eating it. I would watch for it to pass. It should with no problems. It might take some time though. Miles eats all sorts of crazy stuff. Bags, toilet paper, cardboard, soap, etc. So far, he seems to be just fine. No obstruction or anything, thank DOG. Although I worry like crazy!

Since she's a big girl, I don't think she'll have much of a problem passing it. As far as the dryer sheets, did she already throw those up? I think she should be alright. Miles has never eaten a dryer sheet, but he has stolen a couple and chewed on them. Once again, he turned out to be ok.

wishes
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2