GO!

Tardac (Chemical Castration)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Liwanu "Mack"

Must find the- wabbit!!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 12:34pm PST 
Ok. I've mentioned it before but for those who aren't familiar with the story, Mack has had two severe reactions to anesthetic. So far we've not found one that he isn't allergic to and I'm still wondering if neutering would help with some of his problems. A friend of mine mentioned a "temperament" shot so I got on Google and searched around until I found something that may be what he was talking about. Tardac is chemical castration that is temporary, it was designed as a trial run neutering. I wanted to know if I should give it a try with Mack or not, so if anyone has any experiences with it I'd love to know.
[notify]
NIKKO

*It's All About- Me*

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 6:40pm PST 
I would speak to several vets about this and get their opinions. Make sure you let them be aware that he has in the past has problems with different anesthetics. Talk to the vets and not the receptionists. You will probably have to leave a call back number as vets might be in surgery or with patients.
[notify]
Takaya Lee- Carr

who says I need- Prozac

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 2:34am PST 
also for your concideration

Tardac: an injection that can last up to 3 months before an other injection is due for the supression of testosterone

there is also

Suprelorin: a sub-dermal implant ( along the lines of an IUD ) that also supresses testosterone. but there are 2 I guess models one for 6 months and one for 12 months depending on which the owner prefers
[notify]

Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 3:42pm PST 
It looks like it cuts off all the hormones like surgical castration does, so be forewarned that it will have the other risks of a neuter minus the risk of anesthetic shock or 10% risk of surgical complications. Have you looked into neutersol; it sterilizes the dog but does not cut off all hormone production; it cuts it almost in half, and shrinks the testicles (removing the slight risk of testicular cancer). All it takes is one injection to sterilize the dog permanantly.

Edited by author Sun Jan 27, '08 3:43pm PST

[notify]
Duncan, CD,- CGN, RNMCL,- RACL,

velcro dog

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 4:34pm PST 
Have you thought of getting a local anesthetic (numb the area) and getting a vasectomy? It leaves his testicals in place, which does leave his testicles in place, but, just like a man, prevents his ability to procreate. Just a suggestion. Is has been suggested to me for Duncan, as he has seizures, and cannot go "under" until we have his meds under control, and he has been seizure free for a few months.
[notify]
Liwanu "Mack"

Must find the- wabbit!!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 7:38pm PST 
Sorry it's taken so long. Actually I didn't know about any of those other ones. I'll speak with the vet about them all. I need to do something and I wish I knew what he was talking about. The guy who told me about it has a dog who was worse than Mack. That dog used to attack everything whether it moved or not. (Mail boxes, cars, animals, people etc). He took him in and the vet gave him a sedative and then the shot and he's done a complete 180. I knew the dog before and the guy has no money (his dog is horribly malnourished) no training skills and only has the dog because he thinks it makes him look tougher. I couldn't believe it. I will definitely be talking to the vet about non-surgical procedures. Thank you all.
[notify]