GO!

Buster Ate a Plastic Bag

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Buster

Who wouldn't- love a doodle???

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 10:27am PST 
Buster was out playing in the yard and a plastic grocery store bag must have blown into out yard.....I looked out and Buster had it half-eaten. My husband has him at the emergency clinic now to induce vomitting. I am so upset, when Buster was 7 months old, he had surgery because he'd ingested pieces of a frisbee.
Has anyone had any experience with "inducing vomitting" to get rid of something their dogs have eaten? I am so worried he will have to have surgery again.
[notify]
NuNu - {Nubert- Nubinsky}

adopt a shelter- dog!!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 10:38am PST 
if you cought him doing it and brought him right to the vet, i think they should be able to get it up, our paws and moms fingers are crossed that they get it up just by inducing vomiting... i think its in the name buster BOL because our buster always eats wierd stuff too.... he eate a tub of butter last week, i was so scared, but everything was ok, not even much dirreah.... im sure hes in good hands at the e vet keep us updated on how hes doing!!
[notify]
NuNu - {Nubert- Nubinsky}

adopt a shelter- dog!!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 10:44am PST 
if you cought him doing it and brought him right to the vet, i think they should be able to get it up, our paws and moms fingers are crossed that they get it up just by inducing vomiting... i think its in the name buster BOL because our buster always eats wierd stuff too.... he eate a tub of butter last week, i was so scared, but everything was ok, not even much dirreah.... im sure hes in good hands at the e vet keep us updated on how hes doing!!
[notify]

Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 12:20pm PST 
a tub of butter??? shock laugh out loud That's amazing!! (makes me think of the movie Anchorman when Baxter ate a wheel of cheese) BOL
As for induced vomitting, I've never had to experience that with my dogs... maybe someone else can help!
Any updates from the vet Buster?
[notify]
Lily Jane

The original- dachshund- supermodel!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 5:21pm PST 
Oh goodness. Any word on Buster? That worries me a lot!
[notify]
Kema 8/7/96- ♥- 10/22/05

I love my- family!!! XOXO

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 6:25pm PST 
Happened to me once. We, bro and I, got into the trash after one Thanksgiving. You know the big basting bags you put Turkeys in. Well, I ate one of those! Mom didn't know that I ate it though we did get into the trash. Well, imagine the surprise when I began to poop it out one night. Mom had to pull it out because it wasn't coming out to easy.

Good luck!
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 7:08pm PST 
My old GSP ate a plastic bag once. We didn't even known until one morning he was outside for an awfully long time. I peeked outside to see what he was doing, and to my surprise he was standing there with a plastic bag hanging out of his bum! shock We had to help him out to get it out, it wasn't the most pleasant thing ever but the vet said he was ok.
[notify]
Rosie P- Tracy

I'll Have the- Steak Tartare!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 7:29pm PST 
A golden retriever friend of ours ate two ham and cheese sandwiches on wheat, plastic bags and all this summer at the dog beach. He was fine; he passed the bags. ALSO, this summer, he ate a plastic bag full of cookies, also nabed from someones bag at the dog beach. Passed that as well. (grrr...people bringing people food to the dog beach.) The owner just watched him for signs of distress.
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 7:41pm PST 
i've had to induce vomiting...at the vets and also with other dogs...hydrogen peroxide, a very very small amount works wonders
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 8:58am PST 
I am the queen of induced vomiting! laugh out loud Bo eats alot of stuff he shouldnt. He is so quick and so afraid you may take something from him, he will just swallow whatever it is he finds. Most times this happens on walks.

Anyway, we use a little peroxide in a bowl. He takes a few licks and whatever he ate comes out. I hate to do it to him, but it is cheaper than surgery. I have done that twice, once he destroyed a stuffed animal and ate a beanbag from its tummy, and the second time he swallowed a huge cat toy.

I did take him to the emergency clinic once as well. He ate a dead mouse that was poisoned with rat poison. (He isnt allowed to go anywhere with his Pappy anymore! laugh out loud I didnt want to mess with that on my own, rat poison is super dangerous and can kill a dog. He was fine, and in fact when they pumped his tummy, the mouse came up along with bits of fuzz and toys. laugh out loud

I watch him like a hawk now, but he still finds treasures!

I hope everything went ok for you and your pup! Keep us posted!!
[notify]