GO!

coughing chihuahua

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
mr magoo

Magoo!!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 8:42pm PST 
i recently found an older chihuahua mix that i have been trying to nurse back to health. He has this terrible cough....it sounds like something is blocking his air. the vet said it may be a collasped trachea and gave me meds that make him speedy. he also has a bad heart, so i don't want to give him anything to make it work harder. any suggestions? i feel so bad for the little guy!!
[notify]
C. J., MS

Where's my- Aerobie?

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 8:53pm PST 
Congestive heart failure often causes a deep, throaty cough. A collapsed trachea is possible, and Xrays can confirm whether or not this is the case. Were any Xrays done?
[notify]
A.M.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:19pm PST 
If the coughing is continous it's could be congestive heart failure especially if the dog is 9 years+ and small dogs are more prone to heart problems as well.
[notify]

Stevie

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:20pm PST 
You need to take him to a cardiologist so they can do a baseline heart echocardiogram to determine the extent of damage and what medicines are indicated. The coughing will only get worse and the dog will deteriorate without proper medication so take the dog to the vet.
[notify]
Sadie

Treasured!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:37pm PST 
Since I had two dogs that suffered from this condition I agree with the PP. I can usually spot the CHF symptoms immediately when I meet older dogs so I am wondering why your vet didn't do a chest xray especially with his bad heart. Take him back to the vet asap because he may be drowning from fluid on his lungs. Hopefully he will be put on Lasiks which will alleviate the congestion that is causing the cough.
[notify]
Lily

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:42pm PST 
Yes, everyone is going in the right direction with the vet visit. Tracheas collapse in small dogs and it's quite common. I have a 4lb Min Pin that has to be on Turbutrol every now and again when his trachea becomes inflamed. And, I've known a dozen or more Chihuahuas with CT condition. Your biggest obstacle is the heart issue so tread carefully. He could definitely be retaining fluid in his lungs...I must say that you have received some great advice from these lovely people!
[notify]
Oliver -- My Beloved -

Dogs make you a- better human

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 10:39pm PST 
Mr. Magoo...you are so cute. Everyone truly has given some great advice. I just wanted to echo some of it. If he has heart trouble, he really needs heart meds. My dog was recently diagnosed and had a cough. He was put on lasix for fluid retention ; and also a drug to help his heart pump better. Neither are greatly expensive and have helped him. We are still trying to regulate them since it is a fairly new diagnosis. But if you treat a heart problem sooner, rather than later, you can truly prolong life and also alleviate symptoms a lot. Please let us know how he is. And best of luck. Oh, also a low salt diet really helps because of fluid rentention. Another thing I will mention (though I doubt it is the problem) is that Oliver had a bad, gagging cough a few years ago--I thought it might be trachea related, then one night, he kept gagging and literally couldn't get a breath. We rushed him to the Emergency Vet and fortunately, they had a great vet on duty who diagnosed a mucosele. It is basically a gland in the throat that fills with fluid . He aspirated it, and then we had surgery to removed the gland later and he is great now. That cough was more of a 'wet' sounding cough and gagging, Anyway, a lot of people have never heard of this--so I just wanted to mention it in case.)
[notify]
Oliver -- My Beloved -

Dogs make you a- better human

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 10:42pm PST 
Oh, I forgot to say that with a mucosele, you can sometimes see a bulge on the outside of the throat; but in Ollie's case, it was in the worst place--inside and could not be seen. Again, probably not the problem; but just in case, I wanted to throw it out there for help. Again, best of luck.
[notify]
Sadie Mae- Mae

the mazester

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 6:35am PST 
The little fella is in our prayers.
hughughughughug
[notify]
Pepe - Forever Loved

Running wild at- the Bridge

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 9:22am PST 
As others have said, congestive heart failure will cause this kind of cough. I have both congestive heart failure and a collapsing trachea because the left side of my heart is enlarged (as it isn't pumping the blood properly) it presses on my trachea and that makes me cough too. You need to get a proper diagnosis and I suggest you see a cardilolgist - one that can ultrasound your heart to see what sort of condition it's in. You also need to be on specific meds for your condition too.

You are very cute Mr. Magoo. Hope you get your meds sorted out to help with the coughing.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2