GO!

Yogurt vs. Probiotics

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Desiree

It's all about- ME.

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 9:41pm PST 
My vet prescribed probiotics for my boo-boo belly, and it seemed to help some, although I didn't really care for the taste. Would yogurt do essentially the same thing for my digestion? Is yogurt ok for doggies?
[notify]
Chance- ^Forever in- our Hearts^

Grouchy King of- the Drama Queens

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 10:00pm PST 
Desiree, I know nothing about the probiotics but I do know that the yogurt, plain with the live stuff in it (darn I wish I could remember what its called) is good for my tummy. I was recently very sick with an illness of unknown origin. In fact my brothers were ill also. I was the only one not able to return to normal food. My mom started me on a teaspoon of yogurt with my prescription food and a few kibbles and I was able to tolerate my kibble. Each day I get a few more kibbles and so far so good.

I hope you are better soon.
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 10:34pm PST 
its basically the same stuff...it has the good bacteria that helps with the digestive system and tummy smile and yes, as long as ou get the plain, unflavored, no fruits or anything added yogurt, you'll be just fine!!!
[notify]

Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 10:56pm PST 
Plain non-fat yogurt is fine, but keep in mind that the amount of probiotics in yogurt is VERY small. If you want more "effective" results, I would mix in her probiotics with some raw egg, peanut butter, etc.
[notify]
Bizzy- 1986-2001

Best dog EVER

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 7:05am PST 
And make sure you are not getting "lite" yogurt with sugar substitutes. They can be very toxic to dogs! Go for the whole, natural, plain yogert.
[notify]
Desiree

It's all about- ME.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:37am PST 
We're using the Dannon Plain Yogurt "With no artificial anything"
[notify]
Miles

Woof!Woof!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:42am PST 
Yep! Yogurt is good for you. It has live cultures in it. Essentially probiotics, the good bacteria to help aid in tummy upsets. The only thing is, it has VERY little probiotic in it. Maybe try mixing a bit of the probiotic the doc gave you with some yogurt. (I'm assuming it's a powder?) and try that. That's how Mom gives it to me. The only thing is, when you first start the probiotic, you need just a tiny bit...otherwise, you'll get the runs!! I know this from experiencered face
[notify]
Desiree

It's all about- ME.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 12:56pm PST 
Well, we've been having FANTASTIC results with Yogurt. party

I have not had one single boo-boo belly since I started eating a teaspoon - tablespoon a day! cheer

The probiotics helped some, but I was still getting my colitis problem about once a week. And now I'm pretty used to the taste. When mama doesn't think it will mix well with my food, she gives me a (mouth) syringe full to make sure I get my quota.
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 6:24pm PST 
The only problem with yogurt is it's dairy - and too much can make a dog sick to his stomach.
[notify]
Joey

Let's play- ball!!! **RAW- DIET RULES**

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 6:37pm PST 
Solid Gold Green Cow Tripe mixed w/ Seameal is the equivalent of yogurt for dogs & cats WEBSITE ---... http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Solid-Gold-Green-Tripe-Canned -Food/140135.aspx ----- WEBSITE ---http://www.solidgoldnorthwest.com/products/products.html ---- I imagine you guys may be getting TIRED of seeing me constantly responding w/ Solid Gold... -- Solid Gold... -- Solid Gold... well it is in their name "Solid Gold Healthfoods For Pets" w/ that they DO carry a whole line of products for pets. Solid Gold Tripe has done wonders for Griz, Shelby & I, inside and out.

Edited by author Tue Feb 5, '08 6:46pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2