GO!

Wheezing cough

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buddy

Me too?

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 4:03pm PST 
Lately, Buddy has been doing this hacking/wheezing cough thing. Sometimes it seems as though he is going to be coughing something up...which I had heard him do before since he is an avid picker or stuffing from his toys....but this is different. For the past week or so he has been waking up in the middle of the night with a wheezing cough and makes a noise like he's gagging or going to throw up...only he doesn't. I'm worried for the little guy frown Any thoughts?
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 4:07pm PST 
Do you use a collar or a harness?

I would call the Vet and see if they think a visit is needed.
[notify]
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 5:50pm PST 
Might also be the beginning of Kennel Cough. Or something more serious. Vet would be best.

I personally make some times weird noises like this but the vet said I do reverse sneezing.
[notify]

Buddy

Me too?

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 5:52pm PST 
I do use a collar but he doesn't usually choke himself on it. And what's reverse sneezing??
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 6:05pm PST 
I would switch to a harness and have it checked out. Good Luck.
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 7:05pm PST 
Buddy, reverse sneezing is common in IGs and is completely harmless. When an attack comes on, the dog will get very wheezy and gasp for breath. There is often a loud snorting coughing sound as they try to suck in air. Many dogs get very tense and almost seem to grip the ground with thier toes. They often stand kinda stretched out in an odd position with thier head down or out straight. Thier shoulders may hunch over and thier body may move with their breaths (lean forward with the breath in and ease back with a very short often nearly inaudible breath out). It happens most commonly when the dog has been under the warm covers for a little bit or is exposed to a respiratory irritant like dust or fumes. Byron tends to do it when if walk through a particularly cloying candle aisle in the store.

Reverse sneezing is harmless and not nearly as dramatic as it looks. (Many people rush thier dogs to the E-vet thinking that they are about to die. They don't... they get over the attack on thier own and there is no damage.) A dog left to its own devices will get over an attack. However, there are things you can do to shorten the length of an attack if you are present. You can stop an attack by holding a finger over the dog's nose (clogging it) and blowing lightly into thier open mouth. Now when I say blow lightly I mean it. This isn't CPR! Your lips should not contact the dog at all. This encourages the dog to breath through his mouth and the spell passes. Also you can try stroking the throat lightly and soothing the dog.

If the cough is a honking cough (like the sound that a goose makes), that could be indicative of a collapsed trachea. If the cough sounds like a hairball being coughed up (sounds like: ACK ACK!), that could be the start of kennel cough or post nasal drip. Both collapsed trachea and kennel cough require a vet visit. Reverse sneezing does not, unless you just want the peace of mind. Best of luck. smile

Edited by author Mon Nov 19, '07 7:17pm PST

[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 7:21pm PST 
Also be very careful about switching an IG over to a harness. Many are devout harness escape artists and with a breed that runs this fast, that can be very dangerous. Not to mention that thier bodies really are not the right shape to fit most harnesses. If you do choose to go with a harness, do an online search for "martingale harness." There are a couple of IG people who make them. The harness has a martingale style loop in the back which allows the harness to tighten safely around the dog in the event that it backs up into the harness or tries to twist out.
[notify]
♥Trix- ie- Beaglesworth- RI

I am NOT a goofy- goober!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '07 10:27pm PST 
Trixie does reverse sneezing a lot. It looks awful but then she stops. She shakes her head a lot when she is doing it. Copper does it rarely. Maybe that is what he is doing. Hopefully anyway. smile
[notify]
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 4:58am PST 
My reverse sneezing comes in about those instances you are mentioning, even though I'm a Whippet. Well lots of people think I'm a Whippet/IG mix as I am quite small for a Whippet but believe me I am just a small Whippet BOL.

Guess it must be common in most Greyhound style dogs as we have such little fur to protect us and big chests and "gulp" more air than other dogs so get affected faster.
[notify]
Georgie

I Hate Rain

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:58am PST 
for brachycephalic breeds reverse sneezing occurs when the soft pallet gets stuck in the airway. It's not a reaction to smells or irritants. I don't know if that's what it is for IG's but I guess to me reverse sneezing doesn't sound at all like coughing. Reverse sneezing is an attempt to inhale sharply through the nose as opposed to exhaling sharply through the nose (hence reverse sneeze).
A cough to me, such as kennel cough etc is done purely through the mouth and chest and throat and the nose doesn't play much part.
I agree the best way to stop a reverse sneeze (and some dogs need the help - George often does) if to plug their nostrils. I just wait then until he takes a breath through his mouth, which fixes the soft pallet.
If it sounds wheezy I would take a trip to the vet because kennel cough does come to mind. It also could be a cold.
Good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2