GO!

Nail Quick too long?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Savannah

Couch Lover

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 7:39am PST 
We recently rescued our Wheaten Terrier Savannah, and our vet told us because her nails weren't clipped regularly before we rescued her, that her quicks are too long. They said that in order to get her nail length shorter that we would actually have to cut into the quick a little at a time in order to make them retract to a normal length, which in turn will allow her nails to be at a normal length. They said to do this about once a week until the nail is at a shorter length.

Is this right? It seems horrible to me. frown We really need advice. Her nails are a bit long, but they aren't horribly long in our opinion. Thank you!
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 7:44am PST 
I don't know about cutting into the quick. That would hurt and bleed like the dickens. Was the vet going to do this fur you?

My nails got a little long when I had my leg surgery. They grow so fast. Mom takes me to get the cut or she trims them at home. When I could start going fur walks again, that helped to make the quick recede a little. Plus Mom kept trimming them every week.

One thing I've heard and read about is dremelling the nails. I know that they do offer that at my Petsmart now. They trim the nail and then dremel it smooth. Some dogs say it's safer bee-cause if you are grinding the nail and hit the quick, the heat cauterizes it so it won't bleed. You might look into that.

Smoke, *crossing paws fur your paws*
[notify]
Zebedee

the gift that- keeps on giving!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 8:00am PST 
Savannah is one lucky dog to have such caring owners. You DO NOT have to hurt her to make the quick recede. I would invest in a good pair of trimmers. I like the small Millers Forge ones with red handles. They are small and easy to maneuver and they are very sharp so you can take very small bits at a time with nails like this. We also use a dremel to file down the sides after we cut.

It sounds like this wasn't part of her normal circumstance. You will probably have to start very slowly. You can ease some fear by always massaging her feet after she is comfortably cuddling with you. Gentlt separate each toe as if you were going to trim them. In order to get her used to the trimmers you can "pretend" to trim then treat. Once you get to trim, go slow. You may do only one nail every few hours, but easing her into this is the way to secure a future of fear-free trimming.way to go
[notify]

Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 8:54am PST 
we had to do that when i worked at the vet to a couple rescue dogs who's nails had turned under....but we sedated them, cut them back VERY short, gave them pain meds and then woke them up...they seemed to be in a little pain, but it was hard to tell as they were learning to walk without nails digging into their pads....

i would NOT recommend cutting the quick slowly while she's awake..she's gonna HATE having her nails cut from then on and could even get bitey about it...maybe just do it once, put her under, cut them back far, and then you wont have to worry about her in furture nail tirmmings...
[notify]
Savannah

Couch Lover

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 11:01am PST 
Thanks for the advice...it didn't seem right to me to do it, glad I asked.
[notify]
Sadie

Mom says Im the- Boss! Pet- me-PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 12:00pm PST 
I had the same problem with a rescue dog, her nails were very long. i took her to the vet, they put her under, trimmed them short, and then cauterized the quick to keep it short. shw wasnt in any pain when she woke up, and we havent had any problems since. she lets me cut her nails once a week now.
[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 1:32pm PST 
Just try cutting off the tips every week but not cutting into the quick. The quicks should recede.
[notify]
Chloe

3AM = perfect- playtime!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 4:19pm PST 
Another thing that I've heard on here is using a dremel, which not only grinds them down gradually but also cauterizes the end.. That seems to be a better idea than torturing the poor pup..way to go
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 8:42pm PST 
When we adopted Gunner, he's nails were so long that his toes were bending at weird angles when he stood on them. Our Vet told us to do the same thing yours told you. Cutting the nail a tiny bit every other day until it was at a reasonable length. It worked great. Gunner still hates his nails clipped, but I'd rather do that method then having to sediate him or risk cutting the quik.
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '07 8:56pm PST 
You can either take her into teh vet, have her sedated and have her nails "quicked" meaning htat they cut the nails back at the quick. This is very painful and needs to be done while she is sedated.

Or you can buy a Dremmel and grind back her nails to the quick (not past it) every day or every other day. You can even grind the nail around the quick, so that the quick kinda sticks out a bit in a coating of nail. By doing this, it causes the quick to receed on its own. This is a slow process.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3