GO!

Is Brewers Yeast safe?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kizzy

I dare you to- ignore me!

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '07 7:01pm PST 
Hi everyone,
Kizzy is only 2 months and is VERY tiny (only about 1-1.5lbs). Do you think it's ok to start giving her brewers yeast tablets or should I wait until she is older and bigger? Thanks!
[notify]
Stevie

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 11:52am PST 
Brewers Yeast is very healthy and probably one of the best sources of Vitamin B12 there is! I myself take it and so do my dogs. At her age it should be safe, but don't give her any more than one tablet.
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 11:57am PST 
Yes, it is safe, I give it to all my dogs. However, I sprinkle it on their food - it is actually very yummy so maybe you could do that instead?

You are adorable, by the way!

Kizzy

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 12:44pm PST 
Thank you guys for responding to my post. I've used brewers yeast but I've never given it to such a young puppy. I'm glad to know that I can give it to her as well.

Kiona,
Siberian Huskies are beautiful dogs! My cousin had one that I had the pleasure of doggie sitting, and I absolutely fell in love with him. But he was so much work!!... keeping his coat clean and brushed! Kiona is lovely. Judging by your pics, you put a lot of love into your baby.
[notify]
Drake

What dont kill- you only makes- you strong

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 4:00pm PST 
we get a nummy powder called pets alive from garrdens alive it rocks it has garlic yeast kelp and other nummy stuff
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 5:20pm PST 
You might need to go with the sprinkable (is that a word?) kind because of Kizzy's size. I use tablets, and the dosage is one tablet per 10 pounds of body weight. That would mean one tablet is about 9x the amount she needs. Honestly, with such a young/small pup, I'd seek veterinary advice first. I don't think there's a danger of toxicity/overdose, since it's not really stored in the body, but I'd use caution with puppies, just as you would with young children. But then again, I'm just a cautious person in general. laugh out loud
[notify]
Kizzy

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 6:21pm PST 
Mingus,
Thanks to you and everyone else for the suggestions! I had the same gut feeling because she is so young and small... so I guess I am just as cautious. smile
[notify]