GO!

Mushrooms in the lawn

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lacie

Big attitude for- such a little- pup

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 9:08am PST 
We have so many mushrooms in our lawn and they seem to keep multiplying. I am so nervous when Lacie goes out to potty, I can hardly let her play in the back yard by herself anymore. I know a lot of mushrooms are deadly to dogs but how in the world do I get rid of them?? Any ideas at all?? Thank you!
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 9:12am PST 
We asked one of our local pals the same question about mushrooms. The only way you can get rid of them is "quit watering". Welp. It was the rain that made them grow!

What Mom has been doing is taking the garden rake (not the leaf rake) and using that to pop them up out of the ground. Then she picks them up and puts them in a bag. I bet you could use one of thes 4 pronged cultivators too (like a hoe but has 4 fork tines).

We've been overrun with frogs too.

Smoke, toads and stools
[notify]
Lacie

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 9:14am PST 
Ha! I live in the Pacific NW and we gets lots of rain. I have been picking them as I see them but can't keep up anymore. I have probably a couple hundred. I'm very nervous about this. I wonder if I could take the mushroom to someone to see if it is infact poison??
[notify]

The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 9:23am PST 
Do they look like this?

California Toadstools
Fairy Ring Mushrooms

If so, they aren't deadly, but will make you very sick.
Lacie

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 9:29am PST 
Very similiar, is that the most common lawn mushroom do you know? The ones in my lawn are darker in color. Same shape though.
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 9:43am PST 
if you break the cap, the spore will fall into the ground...just be careful!!!!
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 9:58am PST 
Picking them is probably causing them to multiply much faster and over a larger area than if you were to just leave them. Mushrooms reproduce through the release of spores, and when you pick them you're helping spread those spores.

If you're worried about the kind of mushroom and whether or not they're poisonous, you could try contacting a mycologist -- a mushroom scientist. Only an expert can say for sure-for sure what kind of mushroom you've got growing. You could try contacting the biology department at OSU and asking to get in touch with someone knowledgeable in the field of mycology.
[notify]
Georgie

I Hate Rain

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 10:33am PST 
awww i love mushrooms! They're so cute! We have one area of our yard we call the mushroom garden because they just pop up constantly.
George and Yvie seem a bit interested in smelling them at first but now don't seem to notice them.
Of course if your pup is unsupervised around them i would rake them over.
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 10:45am PST 
Lacey, it is in California...

If you have any dead vegetation in the soil, that is what the shrooms are growing on. The only way to get them gone is to sterilize the soil and remove any wood or old stumps and roots in the ground.

We haven't been able to get them under control. We have used fungicide and picked the ones we see using gloves and a bag (the spoors spread quickly and easily) and making sure you get the entire stalk and cap. We just can't get all the dead wood out of our soil...

If the veins under the cap have a greenish tinge, that is the same one.
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 10:47am PST 
http://www.lawncare-business.com/Lawn-Mushrooms.html

i looked at like 10 websites, they all said the same basic thing
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2