GO!

do people walk their dogs anymore?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 7:17am PST 
I'm just curious as to why I hardly see anyone walk their dogs, especially the people in the neigborhood that I know, we go running every morning , then after school, I take him for 2-3 more walks throughout the rest of the day, depending on my schedule, except for couple regulars, seems like most of the dogs are either chained or walk themselves in the backyard.

I feel especially bad for the chained dogs, its been so hot lately, we have a neighbor, theyre not very social and I've never even spoken to them, but they have a beautiful husky pup thats chained outside all day long, I was thinking of going over there and offering to walk her with my dog, cause uno loves her.
Do you think thats too invasive?
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 7:34am PST 
i don't think it's necessarily invasive...just approach it very lightly...explaining that Uno loves their dog and would love a play/walk mate. all they can say is no...and if they say yes, the husky will love you for it!
[notify]
Puck

Puck goes- packin'

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 8:20am PST 
Your heart is in the right place. Unfortunately, you might open yourself up to all kinds of litigation if something goes wrong on the walk both from the owner of a dog who is harmed and the owner of the dog you are walking.

We walk unless the weather is impossible. It makes for a good night's sleep for both the dogs and ourselves. In our town we see a great deal of "fair weather friends". They ONLY walk their dogs on the most superb and enjoyable days. Bless you for being the best place for a dog to land!applause
[notify]

Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 8:29am PST 
people are lazy...no offense!! the people above me have a great approach to walking their dog.....they do this:

*let dog out of crate
*put dog on leash
*walk the dog out of door (more like be dragged along on your face)
*attach dog to 3 foot chain wrapped around tree
*go back inside and wait 5 minutes
*go back out
*put manically jumping, licking, and barking dog back on lead
*walk back into house (again, more like dragging, cept this time you're dragging the dog on its face)
*put dog back in crate

OR

*let dog out of crate
*put dog on leash
*walk out the front door (you get the point about the dragging)
*walk to sidewalk
*walk to tree
*walk to car
*walk back inside
*crate dog

now...the most amazing thing is that they do this like 3 times a day...no matter how much the dog digs, barks, howls, whines, or generally attacks his kennel...

we should all take this approach to walking...
[notify]
Farrah- ♥12/9- 7-3/06

I love Bosco,- Jack & GR

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 8:48am PST 
Why is that dog constantly in its crate? I would report them if I were you.

As for walking Gypsy Road and Jack, Mom does it at least once a day, but when she takes them out to potty, she takes them over to a field that is nearby. Or should I say, they take her? BOL big laughbig laugh Gypsy Road likes to jump. He gets up on his hind legs and jumps his way to the field! BOL

Of course though, Mom lets them run around the apartment and plays with them as well, so they are getting their exercise. Heck, they run after each other, doing zoomies around the house! BOL
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 8:50am PST 
i have NO clue why he's in his crate all the time...i feel TERRIBLE for him...but as i'm in an apt i have no idea if i should tell the landlord? the spca? the cops?

and i live in the middle of no where
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 9:07am PST 
Dixie and Zeppelin don't get "walked", per se. But, we have a 1.6 acre yard...I let them outside and they are free to run around and play and do whatever, as long as they stay in our yard. I'm always outside with them, of course.

Daisy I cannot let loose to run, because the first place she heads is across the street to the woods to follow her nose. I take her outside on a leash and I tie her up...but she can run around all she wants, and I stay outside with her and play with her, as well as with Dixie and Zeppelin. So I guess whether or not you're a bad person for not "walking" your dog depends upon your situation, and what you're able to do at your house. Obviously if I lived in an apartment, the dogs would be going for traditional walks. I feel terrible that Daisy has to stay leashed all the time...I would love to let her run free for a bit...but as of right now, our yard isn't fenced, so it's not an option. She is allowed to run around the house, but she's never very interested in that...if we're inside and I'm home, she just wants to play shadow to me.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 11:38am PST 
Honestly, we don't do your standard neighborhood leash walks as much as we used to, and that's mostly because I've had it up to *here* with many of the dog owners in this city and their unsocialized, untrained dogs. We also avoid many off-leash parks for the same reason. This by no means means that the girls don't exercise -- we have a HUGE fenced in back yard of our own, go on outings, and make sure there's plenty of physical and mental stimulation going on. The social end of things has taken a dive, which I'm not happy about, but I'd rather limit the girls (and my own) social interactions than wind up with one of them hurt (or myself in jail shock ) after what seems like an inevitable eventual show-down with an unmannered, uncontrolled person/dog(s).

I have to say I think that increased animal legislation and the average North American's diminishing sense of personal responsibility are contributing to a sad and scary situation for dogs and owners everywhere.
[notify]
NuNu - {Nubert- Nubinsky}

adopt a shelter- dog!!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 11:44am PST 
i walk the dogs sometimes... nunu and tink are an impossible pair they just tangle thier leashes so i need someone else to go with us (usually my mom) but we have a good sized fenced yard and i always go out with them and chase them areound and flay"fetch" which is me throwing a ball dog chasing it and leaving it for me to come get and throw again lol, but i usually take them to the dog park or something like that.... but now that we have puppy who dosent understand the leash and think in tring to kill him when i put it on its been hard, i have been working with him on the leash waking hopefully he will get it down soon and we can walk again lol

i feel bad for that pup whos crated all day, i dont even have a crate in my house....
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '07 11:46am PST 
I walk my dogs late in the evening so we rarely see other people walking their dogs when we are out.

When I was a kid, I used to walk a lot of my neighbors' dogs just because I loved dogs and my family's dog was very old and could not walk far... I would get to know the dog's owner and then ask them if I could walk their dog. Almost all of them were happy to let me walk the dog... The dogs of course were very happy about it as well! When I got a little older I started getting paid for dog walking, and then started pet-sitting...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7