GO!

Doxepin for allergies - need opinions please

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Luc

I love food...I- really LOVE food

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 1:00pm PST 
Hey guys and gals,

Any of you use Doxepin for allergies? I'm just wondering what your experience is/was with this medication.

Luc has both food and atopic allergies and is currently on a antihistamine regimen - Hydroxine Pamoate (Attarax) and Chlorpheniramine.

We heard Doxepin might work better and we're inquiring about your experience.

If you used it and had success with it, how long (days/weeks) until you noticed a difference?

Thanks in advance!

dog

Edited by author Thu Sep 6, '07 1:02pm PST

[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 5:36pm PST 
After trying all of the antihistamines (Diphenhydramine, Hydroxyzine Pamoate and Chloraphenairamine), Doxepin is the wonder anthihistamine for my Mom's Shih Tzu. (For my two, it's the Hydroxyzine.) A fair majority of the dogs @ the clinic I work @ on an antihistamine, are on Doxepin, and all manage well on it. If you haven't tried it, I sure would. I've seen it work wonders with my own two eyes!
[notify]
Luc

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 6:22pm PST 
Thanks Zeus,

Do you know how soon the effect of Doxepin was felt (days/weeks) after the medication was started?

Doxepin isn't an antihistamine; it's an anti-depressant that can be used to treat allergies.

Doxepin:
Doxepin is a psychotropic agent with tricyclic antidepressant and anxiolytic properties, known under many brand-names such as Aponal®, the original preparation by Boehringer-Ingelheim, now part of the Roche group; Adapine®, Sinquan® and Sinequan® (Pfizer Inc.). As doxepin hydrochloride it is the active ingredient in cream based preparations (Zonalon® and Xepin®) for the treatment of dermatological itch.

Edited by author Thu Sep 6, '07 6:31pm PST

[notify]

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 7:00pm PST 
It's always best to give the antihistamine, for a dog, 2-3 weeks. They don't get the instant "oompf" that we humans get, unfortunately.

Though it is labeled as an antidepressant, it also has major anthistamine effects in canines, unlike humans. I read an article about it once...very interesting!

Some people also use Amitriptyline (which can also be used as an antidepressant) as an antihistamine in dogs. Just a thought. It especially works for those with nervous or anxious tendancies, since it is used as a "doggie antidepressant" also.
[notify]
Luc

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '07 3:19am PST 
Thanks for that info Zeus. We started on the Doxepin this morning and will see what happens.
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '07 9:50am PST 
Have you thought about taking a different approach to the allergies? Specifically, eliminating the allergies rather than treating the allergic reaction.

There is a acute treatment performed by vets experienced in acupuncture or NAET that will eliminate the allergy. It's used successfully on people as well as pets. One of my kitties had life threatening allergies which were eliminated thanks to NAET treatment perfomed by a highly experienced vet. I'd hope you could find the same relief!

You may be able to find a vet in your area through the search capability on the AHVMA website.
[notify]
Luc

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '07 10:48am PST 
Thanks for that info Aina. I will definitely look into that option.
[notify]