GO!

Are cicadas bad to eat?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 6:21am PST 
Jasmine has been finding cicadas (dead already, I think, or at least very immobile while shedding their shell?) and thinks that they make a really awesome snack. I saw her chow down on one a week ago with no problem. Today she found another and is very jumpy around it, spitting it out immediately after grabbing it, etc. I didn't know if she was just being goofy & squeamish or if there's something about cicadas that would be bothering her (like a nasty taste, sharp little pricklies, etc.).

She's really obsessed with the bug, I even got a video of her messing with it since she looks so goofy. But I don't want her to eat them if they are bad for her. thinking So, are cicadas OK as a "snack" or not??
Princess

Will you rub my- belly?

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 6:27am PST 
I know when we were invaded by the 17 year ones, they said on the news that they are not harmful at all for us or the dogs. So as far as I know, they should be fine to eat. wink
[notify]
Grace

Daddys- Princess

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 6:50am PST 
I like playing with them too, but when I bite them, they buzz and it tickles my lips&tounge
[notify]

Madisyn

Its all about- me....Madie!!!!

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 7:01am PST 
Yea I dont think they are harmful.....just gross to think about eating. I know it doesnt harm humans to eat. When they do come out some places (restraunts) consider them a delicacy(sp). My boss even said that at the Taste of Chicago they would be serving chocolate covered cicadas....ew
[notify]
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 8:32am PST 
I like to grab them then prance around the backyard with them buzzing in my mouth big laugh
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 9:39am PST 
We had the 17 year cicadas this year in Chicago ao they were in the news a lot. They said that the cicadas may cause stomach upset in pets if they eat a lot of them, but they are not poisonous.

Edited by author Sun Sep 2, '07 9:40am PST

[notify]
Cruiser

Goofy Pup

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 11:11am PST 
Cru tried to eat one of the really big ones once or twice but he was never able to manage it. That thing started flapping around in his mouth and Cruiser just couldn't keep hold of it, no matter how hard he tried.

I wouldn't think they are bad to eat, though. I've heard of pups eating stranger things and being fine afterwards. I used to sic Cruiser on the crickets that were invading our home.
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 11:22am PST 
They are fine to eat.. I don't eat them and Sally just prods them with her nose.. Skip won't bother them at all. Grand paw (who is a human) put one in his mouth onceconfused

Somepup said that they read that they can cause belly upsets.. That would probably happen if you aren't used to eating bunches of protien.. Those buggers are rich
[notify]
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 11:51am PST 
Ahhhh... crickets..... me and Maya have whole feasts of them every evening. We love chasing them in the grass. They're the honest dog's popcorn.
[notify]
Chip

happy dog, happy- dog

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 1:18pm PST 
I remember seeing an article about the mid-west cicaida infestation this past summer. The Zoos in that area actually welcomed the bugs, as a source of extra protein.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2