GO!

reversible neutering

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Margarita

Black is beauty

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '07 2:46am PST 
you've prolly heard of this before, about suprelorin. for those who just heard about it (like me, lol) its like a microchip but it stops sperm production temporarily so its a less physical alternative to neutering. expensive though. i wonder when it'll be available here in asia. read on.

http://www.petshed.com/articles/suprelorin-canine-contracepti ve.html

this actually sounds okay but am thinking about the side effects if used constantly. what do you think about it?
[notify]
Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '07 2:32pm PST 
Hi Margarita. As someone who would like to be a hobby breeder in the future, I think this is a great idea, but I know others disagreed.

For me it represents a way that hobby breeders could own males and yet have another defense against an unwanted pregnancy in their female.

With my breed, and many others, good breeding practice means delaying breeding at least 5 heats until a female is 30 months, health cleared, and proven. Accidents often happen when breeders try to juggle owning a stud and a couple of females, so that means many won't own males and go to studs that are made available by other breeders. Too often you will find in a specific State or area a great many dogs within a breed end up too closely related because of this use of only limited sires.

There was a thread about this a while back. I'm gonna try to dig it up.

dig...dig...dig...
[notify]
Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '07 2:39pm PST 
Here is that thread.

Canine Birth Control . . . . . . Puhlease! HOW DUMB!

and the article can be found at this link.

Reversible Neutering
[notify]

Margarita

Black is beauty

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 9:02pm PST 
hey rocky. thanks. smile

yeah, this is a pretty tricky development for dogs all over the world. i really think this is more for breeders (and future ones like you) than for your average dog owner.
[notify]