GO!

blocked tear ducts?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Harry

is it time to- eat?!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '07 5:54am PST 
i have always just assumed that some tearing and goopy eye stuff simply came with shih tzu territory. however, i've recently been reading about a few people who had their dog's tear ducts "unblocked" by the vet.

i've got a few questions:
1. what does this involve?
2. does anyone know if there are risks?
3. what is the potential success rate?
4. do you think it's worth looking into?

thanks for any info!
[notify]
Harry

is it time to- eat?!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '07 8:54am PST 
bump

anyone have any info / opinions on this topic? i would really appreciate some feedback

thanks
[notify]
Stitch

older, wiser,- still sniffs- butts

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '07 9:04am PST 
Hi Harry,

i've got a few questions:
1. what does this involve? It actually involves going to sleep as with surgery
2. does anyone know if there are risks? It would be the same risks as surgery
3. what is the potential success rate? This I do not know.
4. do you think it's worth looking into? I would say no. Unless the goopy eyes is really bad, I wouldnt do it. the only time I would consider it is if harry had to have surgery for something else. Why risk an unnecessary surgery. If tear stains is a problem, it can usually be fixed by changing food. Plus they have tear stain removers.

Both Stitch and Chanel have teary eyes. Stitch had really bad tear stains at one point and the vet (who I dont go to anymore) said it could be blocked tear duct and recomended surgery. I decided not to and changed his food. the tear stains went away.

How severe is the tearing?
[notify]

Harry

is it time to- eat?!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '07 9:10am PST 
hi, stitch

thanks for the info!

the issue isn't staining - i actually don't notice that so much

and if consensus is that this would be a serious and risky procedure, i agree that i wouldn't bother looking any further

but the problem is that unless i am constantly wiping out the gunk from his eyes, his face can get stinky

we've made several changes to his diet in the last 6-9 months and nothing has lessened the goopiness.

the biggest association i have noticed is with seasonal or environmental changes - like in a dusty house or when allergies are high, he gets extra goopy and rubs a lot at his face.

i know i can't "fix" seasonal allergies. but if i could reduce the goop safely and easily, that would be lovely.

if not, we love him to pieces no matter what... who cares about a little stink wink
[notify]
Stitch

older, wiser,- still sniffs- butts

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '07 9:20am PST 
Is is a sour smell? Stitch will get that occasionally. I wonder if that is a diet thing also? I do notice Stitch's eyes will get worse with seasonal allergies.

Honestly, I would just wipe his eyes with warm water before he goes to bed. When I first went to the vet they made it sound like it was no big deal. But the more I looked into it, I found out that they would have to put him to sleep in order to do the procedure. I have heard stories of dogs not waking up from the anesetia (sp?) that I would rather not risk something that is not unnecessary. IMO.
[notify]
Gabriel

Where's My- Frisbee??

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '07 9:43am PST 
It requires you put the dog under so the risks involve those with anesthesia. I believe they flush the ducts to unclog them. . . I had this done during a neuter. The procedure itself is very safe and effective if that is the problem. . . plus it was very cheap.
[notify]
Harry

is it time to- eat?!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '07 9:50am PST 
hmm...

well, harry may have to go under anesthesia in the next year or so to have some teeth pulled that are not falling out on their own. vet said if left alone for too long, they may create problems for his gums. if/when that happens, perhaps we'll explore the option of flushing his tear ducts.

thanks for the info, everybody!
[notify]