GO!

We ate a WHOLE CAKE.... uh-oh!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

  
(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Athena

50% dane, 50%- lab, 100%- trouble!
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 6:05pm PST 
Helllo! Me and my brother are SO BAD! It's Daddy's birthday and Mommy spent alllll day baking a cake and decorating it for him. Well she didn't want him to see it, so she hid it in the spare bedroom. Now daddy didn't know it was in there, so he went to get something and didn't close the door. OOPS!

Now all that's left is the candles. It was a marble cake, with some chocolate.... are we gonna be OK? (FYI, Athena is about 25 lbs now, Harley's about 70, and I don't know if they split it, if one ate it all, etc)

THANKS!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 6:21pm PST 
Call the vet, to be safe. It's gonna depend on the size of the cake (overeating anything is bad), if it contained any sugar substitutes, etc.
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 6:24pm PST 
As Vance said, talk to the vet. Also, how are the dogs acting? Are they acting at all differently, or just like they are in trouble? No vomiting or lethargy, no dizziness?
[notify]

Thor

Hump Hump
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 7:15pm PST 
well they say Milk chocolate wont hurt your dog , "Bakers chocolate"
is not to good for them , just keep a eye on them and see what the vet says ...
Thor
PS The plate it was on , did they lick it clean??, if not , I will be willing to put myself in danger , and test it out for your dogs sake , if you send it to me...C/O Thor aka Fatpuppy snoopy
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 7:40pm PST 
Hi guys! I once ate a whole chocolate cake, and I was okay. I'd call your vet and ask what to look out for just in case, but try not to worry too much.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 8:00pm PST 
To clarify, it's the cocoa itself that is toxic. So the more concentrated the cocoa is, the more dangerous the chocolate is. Baker's chocolate is the worst because it's pretty much pure cocoa. Dark chocolate is pretty bad as well, especially when you get into the "80% cocoa" bars. Milk chocolate is pretty diluted, so it's much harder to "overdose" on it. But it can definitely be done.

White chocolate contains no cocoa and isn't technically chocolate at all. That's safe-ish. I still wouldn't feed it in huge amounts; It is candy!

I doubt there would be any risk of chocolate poisoning from a marble cake.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 8:00pm PST 
But I bet it was sooo worth it eh guys?

Just keep an eye out for anything off.
[notify]
Petrie

I ain't no hog- dog, I am a- princess.
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 8:01pm PST 
I agree call the vet. My vet was more concerned about me eating the loaf of bread than all the chocolate. Said that sometimes those kind of things cause bloat. All I know is it ALL goodred face
[notify]
Petrie

I ain't no hog- dog, I am a- princess.
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 8:01pm PST 
I agree call the vet. My vet was more concerned about me eating the loaf of bread than all the chocolate. Said that sometimes those kind of things cause bloat. All I know is it ALL goodred face
[notify]
Petrie

I ain't no hog- dog, I am a- princess.
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 8:09pm PST 
Oh and I forgot. The vet says that I would have to eat 3 pounds of "Baker's" Chocolate to become toxic. I weigh 56 pounds.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3