GO!

Help! Chihuahua in first heat...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Lola

I'm- tougher than I- look.

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 11:40pm PST 
I just turned 8 months old and just started my first heat. My people made an appointment to get me spayed, but I guess it's a little too late. They're going to have to wait until this cycle is over.

In the meantime, they need some tips on how to keep this time comfortable for me & how to keep things neat for them. They got me doggie underwear w/liners they cut to fit but I don't really like it. Anyone have any ideas or tips to share?

I also wanted to know if there is a wait time from the end of this cycle to the time I can get spayed. I read in another forum to wait at least 3 months after the first heat to get spayed...is this true?

I appreciate any info or advice. Thanks!!!

~Lola smile
[notify]
Lizzie

I rule on high

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 5:07am PST 
hug I don't have any advice but wanted to wish you well making it through the heat. I know there are many dogsters that will come by with good advice. One thing I can say, when you go outside the house, always assume there's an intact male nearby just waiting for his chance wink I've far too many posts here and other places where dogs were let out into supposedly secure areas and a male managed to get in the yard and do the deed shrug
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 5:28am PST 
I read that too Lola about waiting three months after the first heat. But another one I read said wait one month or more. I am sure there are others on here that will advise you. However, you should ask your vet as he will know and then make the appointment. good luck.
[notify]

Birdie- (12-15-2002/- 7-15-2011)

Lets take a- nap!! - *snickers*

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 7:04am PST 
Lola, I'm so sorry honey. I've never been thru a heat so I don't know anything about this!! Two advil and a glass of wine??? shrug BOL! thats what my Mom said!!

Birdie
[notify]
Molly

Love Mommy\\\'s- Lap

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 7:25am PST 
I never went through a heat either. Mommy caught it just in time - the breeder gave us some great advise! I like Birdie's suggestion - two advil and a glass of wine! dancing Stay indoors! those guys can be real persistant shock
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 7:32am PST 
Yea for Birdie laugh out loudcheerdancing
[notify]
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 8:23am PST 
I wouldn't do the 2 advil (even if it just was a 'joke')....advil is toxic to dogs! Best thing to do is to watch you like a hawk. My mommy had me spayed before I came into heat. THANK GOODNESS! I've heard how miserable it can be. I would make sure to have your m0mmy not let you out of your site as it only takes a minute, and the boy dogs are gonna be sniffing around and be attracted to you, so PLEASE watch your step!
[notify]
Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 8:48am PST 
Yes...
I believe that "Two advil and a glass of wine" counts as a joke...

Anyhow, it is unfortunate that she came into heat. You will definetely want to get a Vet's advice on when to spay her now, since spaying too soon after a heatcan cause long term maternal behavioral problems. A doggy diaper is a good way to keep the mess off of your home, and rest and lots of water is good for miss puppy. Keep her inside as much as you can unless to go potty or to play under supervision. Do not leave her unsupervised outside, ever.
Good luck.
[notify]
Harlee

LETS GO FOR A- RIDE

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 9:07am PST 
My advice my sure she is in your site at all time or even putting her in a crate time being just in case. I also would not advise you to leave her outside in the yard by herself.
[notify]
Josie

Too cute for- words

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 9:21am PST 
Rubbing a little fresh lemon juice on the vulva will help cut the scent so the boy pups don't camp out in your yard...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5