GO!

4 months old... Too young to neuter?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Choco

Dig! Chew! Dig!- Chew!

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '07 10:53pm PST 
I was planning to neuter Choco either when he started lifting his leg, or when he turned 6 months old - whichever came first. However just recently (past week or so) he's started exhibiting a little more "grownup" behaviour, like humping and showing his little, er, "red rocket". The humping seems more instinctively, like he doesn't have a clue WHAT or WHY he's doing it, and the latter was just a little disturbing because I still consider him my baby!! Hehe...

Well anyways, I figure the earlier the better anyways, for neutering... BUT I want to make sure I go about it safely. So is 4 months too early? And, this won't change my decision, but roughly how much does it cost?
[notify]
Newton

Darn cute, but- LOTS of issues

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '07 11:19pm PST 
I neutered my dog at 4 months. Did some reading on this subject before I scheduled an appointment and that is the age when vets and breeders recommend it, unless you have big or giant breed puppy. Plus the charges for this procedure based on your pets weight, the sooner you do it the lesser you'll pay.
[notify]
Dollybaby

Warning!! Dolly- at work!!

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 5:28am PST 
Choco,
My DD has a baby Chi she was told by her vet her baby had to be a certin weight before they would do surgery. Cause it can cause complications to do it to early. I would read up.
Heres a few sites to get you started........

http://www.petshealth.com/links/index.html

htt p://www.upei.ca/~cidd/intro.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/categ ory_summary.cfm?cls=0&Cat=1302

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/Lon gTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
[notify]

Puck

Puck goes- packin'

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 7:22am PST 
I agree with Dolly. The panel is also out on whether or not there are long term consequences or altering a dog early. The behavior you describe is a normal part of puppyhood. The humping is part of the play that normal dogs exhibit. ( Oh, and the exposure of his parts and pcs is not going to end with nuetering.wink

Do you have another intact male in the house? Just curious as to why you think he will soon be lifting his leg in the house. I would leave this go until 6 months unless he is under a safe weight for the surgery.
[notify]
Shadow

"Did you say- TREAT?"

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 9:32am PST 
Oreo was spayed at 4 1/2 months. Shadow was neutered at 6 months. Your puppy may not lift his leg ever since a lot of small dogs sometimes don't lift their legs to go...Shadow didn't for the first few years. Some vets wait 6 months because they say you need to wait for their testicles to "'drop", but it is safe to neuter earlier. I made the mistake of taking Shadow to a regular vet...I paid over 200 dollars for his neuter...if you go to an animal shelter...they will have low cost spay/neuter...for Oreo I only paid 50 dollars...it would have been 40 without the pain meds afterwards but I thought she might need them. Animal shelters sometimes have wait lists or only certain days that they spay/neuter, though. I think when I made my appoint for Oreo the earliest appt. was a month away. Glad you plan to get him neutered no matter when you do it. way to go
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 9:51am PST 
I would as long as my vet supported it. I'm from the camp that believes it's never too early to neuter your male dog. I wish I had neutered Kaiser before 6 months.
[notify]
Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 10:25am PST 
Personally, I would never neuter a male pup before 14 months of age.

I know three or four small male dogs who were neutered early that still mark their territory all the time in their home. Marking is something that has to be taken care of through training, and although neutering does lessen the testosterone and often makes this training easier but it is not a fixall. The training still most often has to be done, neutered or not neutered.

There is one study that points to "an increased incidence of sexual behaviors in males and females that were neutered early", and another that finds "early age gonadectomy was associated with an increased incidence of noise phobias and undesirable sexual behaviors." In this Canine Companions for Independence letter significant increases in failure rates were found in early neutered dogs due to both medical and behavioural reasons.

Early vs. Late Neutering of Male Pups: Behavioral Considerations

There is a ton of information out there now about the effects of neutering dogs too young. Understandably, at shelters, neutering before pups leave is often necessary, but if you are a responsible owner capable of not allowing your male to breed, your considerations should be different than those of a shelter.

Only you know what you are capable of dealing with in your young male, but please be aware of both the risks and benefits of neutering early.

Long Term Health Effects Of Spay Neuter In Dog
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 10:53am PST 
My biggest concern would be the anasthesia. I waited until Brody was 10 months old and I was sure he was as big as he could possibly get. I know that any dog, no matter what their size, can have problems with anasthesia, but the bigger the better from what I've read.
[notify]
♥- Smokey- ♥

I Want A Butt- Rub!

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 11:04am PST 
I would definately talk to your vet. All 3 of our dogs are neutered. And I would not have them any other way. As far as leg lifting, I think some dogs do it and others just don't. Our Husky has tried lifting his leg, but then has a hard time peeing so he puts it down, the other 2 lift every time they go. I watch alot of animal planet stuff and puppies in shelters are spayed and neutered all most immediately upon wheening.
[notify]
Georgie

I Hate Rain

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 11:08am PST 
george was neutered at 8 weeks (before i got him) and there's never been any problems.
If he had been intact when i got him, i probably would have waited longer.
With a little pup tho, definately talk to your vet - i would be more worried about size and weight than age and maturity.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2