GO!

OUCH!! Why are the pads on my paws peeling?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Carmy

You know you- love me!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 5:58pm PST 
Hi everyone-- I google searched forever looking for a reason. The pads on Carmel's two front paws are peeling off- they are sore and red. They are really really soft- very tender. A new crack is starting on her front right pad- and it turns red then starts to peel back. The peel is very deep and looks painful. I am rubbing neosporane (spelled wrong) on the several times a day- keeping them clean and dry-- I am getting worried though-- any advice? Thanks!!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 6:15pm PST 
Sometimes my paw pads peel if I walk a lot, or when I walk on gravel. Is this something that you went through recently?

My other concern is.. is your doggie a paw chewer? Some people link excessive chewing with signs of food allergies...
[notify]
Tiggles- (CGC, SILIF)

Give LOVE to get- LOVE-Adopt a- Dog!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 6:32pm PST 
I heard that his happens when you walk on hot pavement
[notify]

Elsie Mae- Ray

Cherry Angel and- Elsie NUN- furever pals

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 6:50pm PST 
please see my last page of photos.

I am currently going through peeling pads and it appears to be allergiesshrug

I would talk to your vet as they told ous not to put anything on them
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 8:22pm PST 
Has your pup been running around alot lately? A lot of dogs will experience peeling pads after they start at a doggy daycare or after a rough and fast play session on hard ground. The pounding of the paws on concrete or asphalt cause almost blister-like sores. This happened to Gio when he was in flyball and we had a new practice facility with concrete floors. I would just wash them and make some vet-wrap booties for when he would be running around or outside in mud or on gravel. The rest of the time I would just leave them bare and let him nurse them a little. You will want to prevent excessive licking, but a little doggy slobber is good and will keep them clean and moist. I didn't put anything on them, just left them heal and callous up on their own.
[notify]
Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 8:25pm PST 
Ra's pads have peeled before. It's from all the zooming around he does or when I take him to work and walk him across the hot blacktop into the building.
It's nothing serious.
The first time I noticed it I tried peeling them for him, big mistake! I actually made it more sore and it started to bleed a little.
Neosporin should take good care of them, and try to keep him off hot surfaces or rocky surfaces.
[notify]
Carmy

You know you- love me!!!

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 11:03am PST 
Thanks everyone-- Carmy is battling with some allergies, mostly food- but it seems we have pretty much figured it out. I am beginning to think it might be hot black top driveways or parking lots. We live in Florida- and the temp outside can get around 100- I can't imagine the driveways (thank goodness our driveway is white concrete). Thanks for the heads up-- I think I might also contact my vet to make sure we are not dealing with even more allergies.
[notify]