GO!

Cherries and Dogs

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abbe

Don't even TRY- to hide the- socks!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 10:40pm PST 
So, my Rainier Cherry tree is dropping all these half-ripe cherries from the high branches, and I find Abbe munching away on them all the time. I thought I had read somewhere that cherries are bad for dogs, but now I can't find it. She's been a little weird on her walks the last few days--stopping in her tracks and refusing to go further; lying down in the grass, etc--so I don't know if that's just a behavioral backslide or related to her cherry eating. Any thoughts? If the cherries are bad for her, do I just ban her from the backyard until cherry season is over????
[notify]
Duke

With the Angels~- 7/19/96-7/10/09

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 1:28am PST 
I do this too... There's a cherry tree in my yard, and for some reason I'm fixated on picking up all the cherries as they fall and eating them. However, I've read that cherries are toxic to ingest. Toxic amounts cause vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Now, I don't know how much you need to eat to have these effects, so I'm not sure how worried you should be. I have been chowing down on them and haven't had any side-effects, but mom's definitely putting a stop to the snacking. Wouldn't want me to get sick!
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 2:19am PST 
are cherries a no no because of their pit???shrug
[notify]

Abby,- FDCH-G, TFE

If in doubt,- bark at it

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 2:38am PST 
I don't know about the cherries but has the weather been warmer on the days she doesn't want to walk? My childhood dog would refuse to go for a walk when it got warm, and especially not when it got hot. She thought it was crazy to leave the air conditioned house to go outside and walk in the heat. Just a thought, good luck.
[notify]
Scooter

Yes i did it!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 4:37am PST 
There is a wild cherry that is bad for humans or animals. It will cause severe gastric upset.
But cherry like you buy at the grocery or the human eatable ones are not going to hurt a pup. i never heard or read they were bad,anyway.
But now the pitts may be a problem. Its the pits and seed that most toxins are in. Seeds in apples,pitts in peaches and apricots and allmost all fruit is a no no.
[notify]
Abbe

Don't even TRY- to hide the- socks!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 7:12am PST 
Thanks for the input. I'll keep an eye on her; she does leave the pits behind, so it's probably okay.
As for the walks, it's actually been cooler than normal, and it could be that she was just tired from her day of doggie daycare the day before. I'll go out with her this morning, on her training leash, and see how it goes. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
[notify]
Belle

Short legs, long- body, huge- heart.

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 10:04am PST 
yeah. we have some wild cherry tree in our front yard and my dog sister and i ate them a lot and we both got very sick. mom and dad try to stop us but we're too sneaky.
[notify]
Mocha Bear- (Mokie),- VGG, KPA,

CEO of Rewarding- Behaviors Dog- Training

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 10:15am PST 
I'm with Scooter, if anything, I'd be concerned about the cherry pits.
[notify]
Megan

People charmer

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 12:54pm PST 
I'm not sure about cherries, but I suspect it would be the pits more than anything else.

My vet has said to never let a dog eat grapes as the seeds are poisonous to dogs.
[notify]
Blue

I'm hungry!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 12:56pm PST 
i'm not positive but i think an upset tummy is the worst that can come from fallen-cherry-eating. hope the behavior on walks returns to normal tho way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2