GO!

Infusing Anal Glands

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 6:45pm PST 
So, the vet wants to do some infusion procedure on Vance, since his anal gland abscessed again and didn't fully heal with a short course of Amoxi.

From what I understand, the vet would knock him out, flush the gland, put in a drain and leave it there for a week. At the end of the week, he does it again. And then again, for three times total.

I have a few problems with this...
- I hate the idea of putting anyone under anesthetic.

- He was only on Amoxi for 5 days. And I believe it was a low dose on top of that... He tends to not eat anything and puke a lot on antibiotics, so the first vet saw and I were trying to avoid all that. The previous two times this has happened a good course of antibiotics has fixed him just fine. He just didn't eat and puked until they were finished up.

- I can't flippin' afford this. Well, technically I can... I have a savings account for emergencies and all but I'm not sure I consider this an emergency.

- I'm very, very unsure of how effective this will be. Of course the vet thinks it will work. I generally like they way he handles things, but this one I'm iffy on. I have no doubt it will cure the problem this time, but I have a feeling it won't do much long-term. There's not much info on the web, and what is there is mixed. Most places advocate removing the glands completely, which I will not do unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm sure it works for some dogs, but for Vance I truly believe the psychological impact of loosing them will be far, far worse than having them abscess every 6 months or so.

*sigh*

Thoughts?
[notify]
Sasha Belle

Bring Blue- Home!!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 6:57pm PST 
I'll ask the vet that I work for about this tomorrow. I have never heard of this type of procedure. We did once have a beagle whose anal glands had absessed and we had to put a drain in. But we didn't do any kind of surgery on her. When we have clients whose pets have problems with expressing their anal glands, all we do is suggest that they (the client) bring in their pet about every three weeks to have them expressed. But never have we suggested surgery. I'll check on this for you, but it wouldn't hurt to call other clinics for what they would do in a similar situation.
Hope this helps
Sasha Belle and her momshrug
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 7:40pm PST 
I'd appreciate that...

This is a new vet to the clinic, and he's the only one who does this surgery. He hasn't been around long enough for me to see any results... About two months... But like I said, I do like his stance on many other issues.

I do plan to call the holistic vet tomorrow morning and see what she thinks. She's pretty specialized and doesn't do surgical stuff at all anymore, but she has a good idea of what treatments may be best for an individual dog. And I figure I'll call my ex-tech friend, too. I find it's always worth talking to her, even if I don't end up following her advice.

Edited by author Mon Jun 18, '07 7:41pm PST

[notify]

Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 10:15pm PST 
Ugh, bum deal about not doing well on antibiotics because a longer course of a stronger antibiotic may very well do the job. Does the gland look worse or just not as better as you would like it? If it doesn't look worse, I might try to find a stronger antibiotic you could handle and go from there. I don't know if I would go through all that for an anal gland. Heck, if you are going to go through that much might as well have the gland removed.
[notify]
Lady Abigail- Rose

"THE DOMESTIC- GODDESS"

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 10:26pm PST 
wave had a chessie that had anal gland infections all the time. spent several hundred dollars on antibotics for her, it would clear up for few days then come back again, we finally had the gland removed. it was costy but it was well worth the money, we saved from not go ing to dr every week for meds. she was in alot of pain with the inpacked and absessed glands all the time. had alot of blood coming from them. i think we made the right choice.
this dog was abbys sister which is not with us anymore. she crossed over to rainbow bridge april 7th 07.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '07 5:17am PST 
They do look worse. The previous two times he's been put on AB's, he's stopped licking at his gland almost completely within 24 hours. He never did this time, but the discharge became clear instead of opaque so I figured he was just cleaning himself.

He took the last Amoxi on Saturday morning. On Sunday afternoon, he started having thick yellow discharge tinged with blood. He did ok yesterday but he just had a licking fit a few minutes ago and it's only 8:15 in the morning. The area is starting to look red and inflamed again.

Previously, the antibiotics have worked quickly and he's been fine for months. I have absolutely no idea what triggers all this, since he'll be fine one day and abscessed the next. It really doesn't seem to hurt him that much. It's sore if you poke around at it, and he licks when it drains... Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary.
[notify]
Shiva

Momma where are- you?

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '07 5:25am PST 
At my work_ the vet_ we usually do antibiotics for 10-14 days for anal gland problems. We also do what is called express and infuse. We express the anal gland then take a curved tip syringe and infuse an antibiotic ointment into the gland. Most dogs will tolerate this while they are awake but if they are badly abscessed or extremely painful we will give the dog a mild dose of sedation. We rarely need to repeat the process. I would be a little suspicious about anesthesia 3 times for this. I personally have not heard of this before.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '07 5:33am PST 
Hmm...

I'm getting the impression that this vet may just like poking around in dogs. (Which is a good quality for a vet to have, in most cases.)

At the moment I'm leaning toward suffering through a real course of antibiotics. We've done it before, we can do it again. It just won't be fun.
[notify]
♥Mazy- ♥

SAY NO TO BSL!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '07 8:27am PST 
M Rottweiler had anal gland issues and we did the antibiotic course (it was only very temporary) we'd go in and have them expressed frequently (sooo stinky) and finally we just had the surgery done and had them removed.snoopy It was the best thing we could've done for her. NO MORE SMELLapplauseand she was no longer bothered by them!!!big grin
Our English bulldog is having anal gland issues as well. For now he is on a daily antibiotic but every 3 weeks or so it starts leaking and stinking so he is having his removed in July. It is costly but from my point of view well worth it for them.
Hope this helped.
GOOD LUCK!!!!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '07 8:49am PST 
Well, I spoke to the holistic vet (or rather, we did that go between from me to receptionist to doctor to receptionist back to me and so on).

I'm going to get him back on antibiotics today. To help his system deal with that, I'll be giving an extra dose of the enzyme supplement he's on. Then she suggested feeding 3 prunes every day (yeah, I'm thrilled) and 1 1/2 tsp of coconut oil (supposedly cleansing; not the first time I've heard this).

I'll also start getting them expressed every month or so, whether he needs it or not. Then hopefully if they do start to get impacted or infected again, we'll catch it before they actually abscess.

It's going to be tough, but I'm willing to try anything to not put him through 3 weeks of scraping and draining. Anal glands are related to scent marking and identity for a dog. Which Vance pretty much lives for. The abscess doesn't look that bad (externally, anyway). He doesn't smell awful and it's not particularly painful, so I'm not ready to do anything as extreme as removing them.

Edited by author Tue Jun 19, '07 8:50am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2