GO!

Puppy poop

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Zimra

Share the love.

Barked: Fri May 4, '07 8:57pm PST 
To be blunt: my puppy's poop is a bit loose. Not obviously unhealthy looking, but soft -- not firm stools. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it except for that it's impossible to pick up, but too yucky to leave in the grass. Is this a sign of unhealthiness? He eats Bil-Jac puppy food. Is this just how it is or should his stools be more solid?
[notify]
Ursa Bella- Minima

I'm a hound- dog...

Barked: Fri May 4, '07 9:42pm PST 
Ursa had a little problem with beef when she was around 3 months. She had BAD gas and loose stools... If your feeding a food with beef that may be the cause. My vet said a lot of times puppys have difficulty with beef... Most of the time they grow out of it but in the mean time you might want to try a chicken or lamb...
[notify]
Joey

Spotted noses- are the next new- trend...

Barked: Fri May 4, '07 9:56pm PST 
Zimra-

Bil-Jac is pretty sugary. Maybe try some pure pumpkin with your food, that should clear things up!
[notify]

Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sat May 5, '07 3:24am PST 
Loose stools are no fun.frown
First if you haven't yet get a stool sample checked by your vet.
Insist that they check for Giardia too.
Giardia is an intestinal protazoa that can cause loose stool in puppies. If untreated in can make them alot more sick too (and it is communicable to humans as well - commonly known as Travelers sickness or Travelers diarrhea).
I am not sure where you got this cute pup from BUT dogs from petstores or large breeding facilities are more likely to come with a few parasites. This does not mean that puppies from a small local or well known breeder can not have them also.
Leah had Coccidia when she was 7 wks. The breeder had her treated at the vet here and all was well.
Loose stool can be food related also.
First things first I would get the stool sample ASAP. If negative you may want to talk to the vet about a dose of something to harden the stool or possible a change in diet. Loose stool can lead to dehydration in small puppies and become life threatening quickly. Plus they are not absorbing the proper nutrition to grown if they have loose stools all the time.

Hope this helps and what a very cute pup you have
[notify]
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Sat May 5, '07 4:03am PST 
BilJac's content of fat might be a little bit too much for your puppy. Try giving him a little bit of boiled rice mixed in the food (brown rice is the best). Maybe switch to another brand (Canidae All stages would be a good one).
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sat May 5, '07 1:02pm PST 
Yes rice will help. I don't know anything about that food. My doggies all ate puppy chow when they were little. All of them had loose stools at first.

I have given all of my 3 dogs rice cereal (like u give babies) mixed with buttermilk. I had some one suggest it to me when bama was 8 weeks old. They said it is good for their immunity as well as it helps to firm up the stools.

Just feed a small bowl of this once a day for one week. (then feed regular food for the other meal/meals) It helped all of my dogs.

Edited by author Sat May 5, '07 1:03pm PST

[notify]