GO!

My tail hair is thinning out

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Yula

Stubborn

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '07 8:46pm PST 
As a Norwegian Elkhound my fur is thick. I had a beautiful tail that I wag all the time. However, my mom noticed that my hair on my tail are thinning rapidly. The end of my tail has no hair at all. It looks like a little thin stub. What is wrong with my tail? Although I still hold it up high and I wag it all the time it is not as beautiful with thick hair as it used to be.
[notify]
Ranger

Agility addict

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '07 4:27am PST 
This sounds like a food allergy, what sort of food are you eating that you might be allergic to?thinking
[notify]
Cara

Take That! You- naughty deer!

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '07 5:34am PST 
Have your thyroid checked. Have you noticied any unexplained weight gain or trouble losing weight even though you eat a small amount?
Hypothyroidism can cause thinning coat, dry brittle coat or broken hair, patchy coat. But sounds like a vet visit is in order. No body likes to look/feel naked!!confused
[notify]

Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '07 5:49am PST 
Sometimes sarcoptic mange can cause your tail to loose hair.
[notify]
Takiah

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '07 7:07am PST 
Sometimes fur loss has to do with a hormonal thing (Cushings disease, hypothyroidism). Usually with these however, there is also fur loss on the rest of the body, like the head, legs, trunk, and other symptoms. It can also be from a skin or mite infection such as mange, or even a flea allergy, or from anal sac impaction. Sometimes inhalant or food allergies cause hairloss as well, maybe with Spring coming you are allergic to something outside.

The only way you can really tell is to have your vet do some samples or skin scrapings (and sometimes then they can`t figure it out...second opinions are a good idea if so). I see you are a pretty old pup, so it may just be something with age and hormones. I have heard of similar symptoms in malamutes.

There is no way your dog is chewing the fur off is there?? Or another dog chewing it?
[notify]
Yula

Stubborn

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '07 9:24am PST 
I had an allergy test and I am allergic to everything! Grass, mold, trees, mites, you name it. I guess spring is in the air!! I take Hydroxizine pills, as needed, but I do not like it. I keep my weight pretty even. Mom cooks for me. I have oatmeal for breakfast and I usually eat a small portion of meat, rice, carrots and tofu for dinner. Mom got the recipes from the Internet. She even baked treats for me. Dad takes me around the park, which is behind our house, four times a day. It is his first job in the morning and his last before he goes to bed at night. I have arthitis in my back legs and I move slowly, but I move. My life is pretty good, I guess I must be getting old!

Thank you all for your replies.
[notify]
Lady now an- angel

Sweetness

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '07 5:17am PST 
I developed "rat's tail" as it is called-our tails look like a rat's tail when the fur falls off. Many things can cause this. After cha-ching cha-ching tests for thyroid and etc, it cleared up , and my tail grew back as fluffy and beautiful as ever-. Took a couple months..and never found out why it happend. Good Luck!.
[notify]
Turbo- (1991-2009)

Super-man

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '07 8:29am PST 
You might also ask your vet about starting on some dried kelp powder. It sometimes does wonderful things for thyroid problems and allergies. I am a really old guy with a big thyroid tumor. My hair coat is just awful, and I have not replaced my coat in several years. Mom says I look like a old teddy-bear with the fur loved off. I too have a naked rat tail. Mom put me on kelp powder (just mixed it in my food) last year and now I am starting to look a bit better and my skin does not itch so much.

Good luck!
[notify]
Buddy (ADOPT HIM)

Buddy: Loves- Sadie

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '07 9:05am PST 
are you sure you don't have mange, or a food allergy?
[notify]
Yula

Stubborn

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '07 10:24pm PST 
I have no symptoms that would suggest mange. My skin and coat is beautiful all over my body except at the end of my tail. I'll have mom vacuum me tomorrow as I like to be vacuumed. I do not like the noise, but I love to feel the suction of the vacuum cleaner all over my body. If I have any bugs on me the vacuum cleaner will eat them right up.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2