GO!

Coughing & Spitting Up Dog

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Pepper

Love is all I- need!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '07 8:32pm PST 
Pepper, has coughed and spitted up since we got him. He does it on average 1-3 times per day. He is all up to date on his shots and he has recently been wormed. He is still doing this. I have only had him for about a month and a half. I am very attached to him. I really want to know what is wrong with him. Can anyone help Pepper?
[notify]
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '07 8:37pm PST 
Did you take him to the vet? If he spits up after coughing means theres some liquid in the lungs somewhere. only 1-3 times a day doesn't sound serious enough for Kennel Cough but then you say he's been doing it for a month and a half?

You definitely need to take him to the vet.
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '07 2:27am PST 
Spitting up after coughing does not necessarily mean that there is fluid in the lungs. Actually, most of the time it is not due to fluid in the lungs but is rather just phlegm from the back of the throat or upper airways.

I would guess that Pepper has a collapsing trachea. It is a common problem in toy breeds. If a dog has collapsing trachea it is because the rings of their trachea are softer than normal and can easily bend and allow the trachea to collapse. This is most likely to happen when the dog is excited and/or breathing hard. Often times they will make a honking like noise. When the trachea collapses then it triggers a cough and sometimes a gag / spit up.

I would probably take Pepper to the vet to have him examined just to make sure there is nothing else going on.
[notify]

Princess

Spoiled to the- core

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '07 11:51am PST 
I would call your vets office and just ask them what to do. They might just tell you it is an upset stomach and might tell you to go on a bland diet for a couple of days. But yet again they might tell you something different.
[notify]