What to do if your dog eats ALOT of cooking grease?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.


Jayne - Always a Clown!
Barked: Tue Feb 20, '07 3:04pm PST 
When I came home today Jayne met me at the door covered in bacon grease. I had cooked my famous spaghetti last night and poured the grease from the meat into the trash can well I guess I didn't shut the door to the bathroom all the way before I left and Jayne escaped into the kitchen and ate all the grease out of the trash can and only god knows what else. Can this hurt her? What should I do?

Barked: Tue Feb 20, '07 3:27pm PST 
Keep a close eye on her, confine her to an easily cleaned area, she'll probably get diarrhea. She looks like a little girl, so give her 1/2 tablet of Pepto to help with the stomach upset. Only give her about 1/2 the normal amount of food, or to make things even easier on her tummy, replace her food with boiled chicken and rice for a couple of days and then slowly switch her back onto her normal food. That's about all you can do, some dogs have stronger stomachs then others, she may not even get sick, but I'd be prepared for the worst just in case! Good luck, I'm so sorry that happened - But I must admit, I've been there before a time or two myself!!!!!!

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!
Barked: Tue Feb 20, '07 3:42pm PST 
Make sure you have lots of towels and your favorite doggie-safe floor cleaner on hand!!! Don't ignore pleas to go outside at 3am, either! This isn't probably going to be pretty coming out the other end.

Eating A LOT of cooked grease could put you at risk for an attack of acute pancreatitis. Keep an eye out for discomfort, vomiting, and fever. Basically, if anything seems REALLY wrong, go to the vet. The pancreas produces the enzymes the body needs to break down fats, so when you put a whole bunch of fats into the system the pancreas is put to so much work making enzymes that it can get really inflamed and basically shut down. Kinda like a car radiator overheating or something. Chances are with some help from the vet you'll come thru it OK should something like that happen.

Chances are you'll be fine. Assuming there wasn't anything else in the trash that could be harmful and you're in good health otherwise, some grease will pass thru no problem, but don't make a habit of it! Keep an eye out for irregular pooping (after the grease clears that is) or not pooping at all, lack of appetite, vomiting, and other signs of anything undigestable having gotten lodged in your innards.

Hope you feel better -- that grease was probably tasty going down, but it can't feel good to have it all sitting in your tummy!


Jayne - Always a Clown!
Barked: Wed Feb 21, '07 7:39am PST 
Thanks so much for the advice Jayne acts like she feels much better!snoopy
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!
Barked: Wed Feb 21, '07 8:35am PST 
Jayne is adorable! However a bit naughty, huh? laugh out loud We hope she didn't and doesn't develop pancreatitis. It is very painful for a pup. A high-fat diet can cause this with pups who are pre-disposed to it. It sounds like she dodged a bullet. She must have eaten enough "other" stuff to move it through or absorb it. So glad she seems better!cheer

Xena Puggle:- Curtain Slayer!
Barked: Wed Feb 21, '07 8:54am PST 
Glad to hear she's feeling better!
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...
Barked: Wed Feb 21, '07 9:32am PST 
Stand by the door...leash in hand......

And I second Meridian........paper towels...and LOTS OF THEM!!