GO!

Stress---Shedding!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sparticus- *RIP*

A True Gentle- Giant

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 9:33pm PST 
Does anyone have any suggestions on helping Sparticus?? He has had a rough life and stresses very easily. When ever he is left at home alone or gets in trouble he tend to shed a ton!! Does anyone know how to prevent this??
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 11:58pm PST 
Why so much stress? If he goes thru periods of anxiety and/or fear due to an acual event you might find that Rescue Remedy will really help him thru those.

A good quality fish body oil might help with the shedding and coat care.

For general stresses on the body from day-to-day kind of stuff, there are a multitude of herbal formulations that could really help. A simple way to offer some help is thru vitamin C. It is really great for dogs (and people) who are in high-stress situations. If you choose to supplement Vit. C, you should choose a high-quality vit. C supplement -- either a buffered one or a product like Ester-C, which is more effective than regular old ascorbic acid.
[notify]
Nemo

Life... is a- game!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 3:00am PST 
I have the same problem with Nemo. I have tried rescue remedy several times with him & there is no noticible difference. The trainer said using a gentle leader may have a calming effect, once he gets use to it.
[notify]

Noodle - McDoglet-Sti- nkopotamus

Roll with the- WIENER HERD

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 7:15am PST 
There is an anxiety-reducing sort of 'wrap' on sitstay.com . Kind of the same principle as wrapping an infant in something like a receiving blanket or 'swaddling' if you want to reference biblical. Feeling secure and almost 'hugged.'

It is recommended for calming dogs during stressful events such as thunderstorms, although someone has suggested an old t-shirt of yours that has your scent and fits snugly would work as well - I'd read up on it if I were you on sitstay. I am a big fan of the rescue remedy, but if you want something to react as more of a sedative you could try an OTC pet shop product with valerian root, passionflower, kava kava and/or st. john's wort- though I wouldn't personally use it every day - talk to your holistic vet or a certified herbalist about that.

Another option is the DAP plug-in or spray, I know they sell this at my local petstore as well as most big chains like petsmart and petco, you may be able to get online for cheaper... it is a synthetic scent that diffuses and mimics the pheromone given off by female dogs while nursing. DAP stands for dog-appeasing-pheromone. They make a version for cats as well called Feliway.

In my opinion a combination of the stress wrap or a t-shirt and the spray or plug-in would be the least invasive options without having to resort to drugs (plugin works best for a smaller area like if the animal is confined to a crate you could put the plug-in near it or spray around the crate and dog's bedding)

Your vet can probably offer other options for Rx medication if you want to go that route.

Meridian will probably agree with me that one of the most supportive things you can do is make sure that the animal is getting good nutrition and pure water and the least exposure possible to any environmental irritants or toxins. For some dog owners that means using filtered or purified water instead of tap and changing diet to raw, homecooked or a very limited ingredient kibble (I don't want to start a holier-than-thou food war cuz dog knows we get enough of those on the food board so I'm not going to say anything about any of those options here.)

And salmon oil supplementation (we like the grizzly brand but some prefer timberwolf) will go a long way towards reducing shedding just by increasing beneficial fatty acids / omega 3's.

Lately someone recommended adding vitamin e of 100 IU's for every 1000 mg of fish oil given - sorry I can't remember what the reasoning was.

Hope one or more of these options gives you some relief! Pmail me if you want, we'd love to hear how you are doing and if these help!

dog
[notify]