GO!

Chew rope thread, is it safe to ingest?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Starla

it's all the- cats' fault!

Barked: Fri Feb 2, '07 10:48am PST 
My dog loves her chew rope, soaked in broth and then dried. I was just wondering if it,s safe for her to ingest all the thread she does. She rips it off the neds and swallow it.

any danger of "impaction", blockage, etc.?

thank u
[notify]
Cera Marie,- NPC

Can we eat now?

Barked: Fri Feb 2, '07 10:59am PST 
I've heard that it is dangerous etc, however Cera Marie LOVES chew ropes...and when she gets them, she always eats some of the rope. The only "problem" we've ever come across is that after when she poops there was string still "inside" and the poop was kind of hanging and she couldn't get it free. It was quite the spectacle and I had to manually remove the strings...lovely. smile She has been eating that kind of stuff since I can remember without a medical issue. When I see that she is starting to break off and eat pieces, I toss out that rope or cut off the parts that she has worked free. So, I would say small amounts aren't going to be a huge problem...but I would make sure that large pieces are not being ingested...
[notify]
Starla

Barked: Fri Feb 2, '07 11:08am PST 
her poop was full of little thread the other morning bol!!!!! I think my dog has steel bowels though and amazing resistance as she has survived many ailments before coming to love with me and never even got complications!!!!!!!

Edited by author Fri Feb 2, '07 11:09am PST

[notify]

Indiana

Is that snack- for me??

Barked: Fri Feb 2, '07 11:32am PST 
Indy does this as well, he also likes the fuzz on tennis balls. On atlesat one occasion the stuff coming out his back side had nice green tennis ball fuzz in it shock I've never had a problem with him but I've never thought to ask the vet about it either
[notify]
Isabelle- (2/8/05 ~- 3/17/13)

Dadd- y's- Girl!

Barked: Fri Feb 2, '07 7:09pm PST 
We have read in other forum threads that the string from the rope toys and even hair can get tangled in the intestines and be fatal. Scary!

shock
[notify]
Starla

Barked: Sat Feb 3, '07 4:44am PST 
if hair can be fatal I guess anuthing can because they eat hair all the time from licking themselves / the floor... I guess accidents can always happen but I shouldn't be too too worried...

thanks
[notify]