GO!

Steroid shots - how long does the effect last?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Jan 27, '07 2:00pm PST 
A few days ago, we took Snowy to the V%# for a minior issue. Before the v%# let us go, she gave Snowy a steroid shot to help with itching and swelling.

The cute thing is (yes, everything he does is cute), I was warned by my friend that I might notice a bit of a personality change brought on by the 'roids, and it's true! He's bolder, braver, and tougher. What I'm wondering is, how long is this effect supposed to last before it goes away? I do like the braver Snowy, but I am used to the more scardy-cat Snowy. smile
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Sat Jan 27, '07 2:29pm PST 
Hey tough Snowy, now we can really have a lot of fun roughhousing BOL!

The pug I was in class with who got the steroid shot and had a big personality change, I think it lasted about 1-2 weeks. So you'll probably go back to being a little less tough soon.

I hope you're all better and ready to have fun next time we see each other!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Jan 27, '07 2:31pm PST 
Hmmm maybe I can finally beat you in wrestling? BOL! The other day, clumsy daddie stepped on my foot again, and instead of screaming, I just looked at him.
[notify]

Duchess

Save a- Life:- Adopt!

Barked: Sat Jan 27, '07 2:41pm PST 
Hey Snowy. I'm by no means a 'roids expert, but this is just an observation from my brofur's best friend at Catster. She has taken two steroid shots. One was a short-lasting one that was supposed to last 1-2 weeks. She just had another one that's long-term (supposed to last a month I think). So I think it maybe depends on how much you were injected with and how long its effects are supposed to last. My catbrother has been taking steroid pills for 8 months (and will take them for the rest of his life) and his behavior didn't change at all. He takes Prednisone. It's not for itchiness though; it's because he has a feline disease called FIP.
Woofs,
Duchess
♥Usdi- 1997-2006

Love is- forever...

Barked: Sat Jan 27, '07 8:20pm PST 
Hi Snowy, it depends on what kind of steroid shot it was. Please be careful with the steroids "if" you have to continue taking them. I'm at Rainbow Bridge because my vet gave me steroid shots for years and never tested my blood. I have a story in my diary. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Jan 28, '07 12:50am PST 
Thanks for the heads up Usdi. It was supposed to be a one time deal unless my situation doesn't seem to improve. I think I'm healed, although we are going to go ahead and continue with the full prescribed medication. The medication is not steroid based.
[notify]