GO!

Coughing/gagging/hacking

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Wed Jan 10, '07 2:41pm PST 
Ziggy has had this problem off and on since we got her in October. In the last day or two it has been worse. The vet said he thinks her throat is getting irritated by something she's eating. There are evergreen trees in our backyard, and I think she sometimes tries to eat the pine needles. So we always try our best to keep her away from the needles. But the hacking is getting worse. It's like she has something in her throat and it makes her cough and then gag, though nothing comes out (sometimes a bit of clear saliva, but that's it).

Is there anything that would relieve her throat at least until I can talk to the vet again? I hate to keep bringing her to the vet for every little thing, but I just want to make sure she's OK.

We're giving her ice cubes, which seem to help temporarily, but we can't give her those all day long!
[notify]
♥- Maggie- ♥

Adopt a- Shelter- Dog!

Barked: Wed Jan 10, '07 2:45pm PST 
Hi Ziggy! A little spoon of honey can soothe your throat. Hope you get better sweetie!
[notify]
Brandwyn

Shelties- Forever!

Barked: Wed Jan 10, '07 3:14pm PST 
You mentioned that the vet thought it was something in her food. Have you changed her food yet? If not I'd give a little boiled chicken and rice instead of her kibble for a few days and see if there is an improvement.
[notify]

Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Wed Jan 10, '07 7:58pm PST 
Sorry - I meant that he said it was probably something non-food that she is eating - a "dietary indiscretion" such as eating pine needles.

I think that's probably what it is. She was much better today. I guess we'll just have to keep a close eye on it - and thanks for the honey tip! smile
[notify]
Tanner

ball, ball,- ball!!

Barked: Wed Jan 10, '07 8:02pm PST 
On/off can you elaborate that...is it after he's outside??? you may want to have a bronchoscopy done (where the lungs are scoped and samples can be taken,,, or just watch him and see what he does when he goes outside..
[notify]
Parker

Parker - oversized- lap-dog

Barked: Wed Jan 10, '07 8:06pm PST 
Parker had a similar issue, but VERY dramatic. His airway became inflamed because of a glade plug-in!! Imagine! His airway was so irritated, he began this horrible hacking, coughing, "reverse sneezing" fit! I thought he was on his way out!

I suspected it was the plug in cause it was the only "new" thing he was exposed to. He didn't lick or eat it... the scent just irritated him. He's never had the problem since... so you may want to check if you've been using any specific household products on the days that this happens... I never would have guessed it could pose a problem... but apparently it is quite common, according to his vet.
[notify]
Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Wed Jan 10, '07 8:10pm PST 
Tanner, it was probably once a day before, but now it's become a lot more - especially last night and this morning - it was every few minutes. Tonight, it was much better.

It tends to happen a lot after she's run outside, esp. at the dog park.

When we went to the vet, he felt her throat a little bit and that triggered the coughing/gagging. He said it seemed like her throat was irritated, but he didn't seem too concerned about it - just said to watch what she was getting ahold of, so we've been trying to keep her away from the pine needles.

But even though she hasn't been eating them lately (to our knowledge), the problem is still there.
[notify]
Indiana

Is that snack- for me??

Barked: Thu Jan 11, '07 8:00am PST 
If there have been pine needle snacks they could be further down than the vet can see. Indy got into the trash *sigh* and found the celophane from some beef which he must have somehow ingested a bit of. He did a lot of that. I took him to the vet and was told irritation, keep an eye on him and a few days later he actually hacked the bits of celophane up. If its really a needle it may be harder to cough up
[notify]
Daisy Mae,- NPC, CGC

Who could resist- a face like- this?

Barked: Thu Jan 11, '07 8:06am PST 
This sounds like what we all did when we got kennel cough! If it started after a trip to the dog park.. you might ask the vet if that is a possiblity? When we got kennel cough (all one right after the other) NOT fun.... we coughed a little and then got progressively worse. Antibiotics cleared us right up... hope you feel better!!
[notify]
Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Thu Jan 11, '07 2:03pm PST 
Crap - she is now getting yellow-green goop in her eyes and her left eye looks really watery. She coughed quite a bit this a.m., too.

We got the kennel cough vaccination - wouldn't that prevent her from picking it up???
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3