GO!

is my dog supposed to be in this much pain after neutering?!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Leo

POOP MACHINE!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 6:49pm PST 
seriously, he cannot sit or lay down and it is really starting to make me nervous. he's standing in a half-crouch with one leg lifted up and crying. I just picked him up from surgery two hours ago.

this neutering surgery was our first visit to our new vet, and I was beyond unimpressed by them- when I came to get leo, he was utterly terrified and hiding in the corner of the kennel & I got a lecture about how dogs need a "firm hand" in training, and that's why leo has behavior problems- because I don't spank him. (apparently he was terrified and fear-snapped at a vet tech.)

he's a needy dog, but he's been shivering since I brought him home and attached to my feet and now he can't lay down and is trying to sleep standing up. I'm waiting for the vet to call me back, but I am really worried- my last dog took neutering like a champ and he slept for two hours and was raring to go again. this is so different- did I just get lucky last time or is this normal?
[notify]
Benny

I am just SOOOO- cute! :o)

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 6:55pm PST 
OMG what a b*****d of a vet! I've only had one dog snipped but he was fine afterwards as well. It sound like something went wrong. The attitude of the vet wouldn't have helped!
If you can't get onto the vet who done the op, is there another vet you can call or go to see?
I think I'd be avoiding this vet and telling other owners the same.
I am in shock about the comment about needing a firm hand! Obviously they don't know much about dogs!
Sorry for the rant, but vet are suppose to know better and be supported. I am so sorry you both had to go through this!
Sending healing pain relieving vibes. Hope he gets better soon!!
[notify]
Hank

Not a dalmation!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 7:04pm PST 
My baby was just neutered a month or so ago. They sent him home with pain relievers. Did they give you any? We had the opposite experience. With the painkiller, he was too active and didn't seem to notice much. He did have trouble getting comfortable with sitting but was not crying out or anything. We only gave him the medication nce and then he was fine.
As for the vet, that would be a no-go for me. I wouldn't want anyone laying a hand on my dog, never mind the vet.
Good luck tonight and hopefully, he'll settle in.
[notify]

Lucy

Happy Birthday- Mama!!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 7:13pm PST 
What kind of vet hospital tells the owners to spank their dog? I say NEVER EVER hit a dog (mayve I have this philosphy because my dog is five pounds.
as for the nueter some dogs are more of "wimps" when it comes to nuetering, but I've never heard of a dog not being able to lay down. Most usually don't want to stand up. IF I were you, I'd take him to the vet or call, but not this vet, one that you trust. check to see how the incesion looks. does it look different? check his gums, are they pale or white? if so, get him to teh doctor as soon as you can.
If the people in this vet office are so pro-dog spanking, I shudder to think theres a chance they hit your boy. I worked with the most unfortunate vet once and one time he hit a dog to get it to sit still. I won't EVER take my dog to him. the dog that he hit, was a LAB PUPPY. Anybody try to get a lab puppy to sit still? they're 100 percent per energy--no siting stil.

I do agree t hat training is an important part of owning a dog, but there is NO way you can acess the amount of training a dog has had by a trip in the vets office. it's strange and scary for them, no wonder they don't all fear bit in there. Also, if they believe so firmly in having a "firm hand" whose to say they didn't treat him roughly when he firsdt got there and so he was scared of them and that's why he fear bit.

Another thing to consider, you say he is holding up one leg--could it be possibly that he somehoe sustained an injury on that leg? what if they hit him there, or dropped him there? Soem, not very nice vet tech,s to get a Supposede agressive dog out of a cage, will loop a leach around their neck and then just pull the dog to the floor (even if their in a top cage). I've seen it done, en it--but I would NEVER do that myself! that could cause a leg injury. I'd check out his leg to see if there is any visable pain when you touch it.
I hoepe he's alright! Let us know what you find out.
[notify]
Duchess

Save a- Life:- Adopt!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 7:21pm PST 
What kind of vet would tell someone that their dog isn't well-behaved because they don't SPANK it!?!?

I would seriously find another vet and see about getting him seen. We've never had a boy dog, but Mom has had five boy cats neutered, they all came home the same day, and none of them had that much pain that they couldn't lay down (they didn't have pain meds either--vet said pain meds weren't needed although Mom says that if she gets another cat/dog, she will definitely ask for pain meds because it seems unethical to her not to give them).

I hope you're feeling better soon, sweetie!
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 7:30pm PST 
Dogs ususally shiver when they have an upset tummy.

It could be any pain meds he is on, or antibiotics.

Try giving him some Mylanta or Pepto Bismol. Just a little.... may ease his tummy.

Poor baby...

Edited by author Wed Nov 15, '06 7:29am PST

Cinnamon Grrrl

The Little Bad- Wolf

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 7:56pm PST 
Is there a 24-hour emergency vet clinic in your area? I would take him there. I would definitely never take him back to the fenderhead who neutered him. If there is no emergency clinic, take him to another vet ASAP tomorrow.

*GRRRRRRRR*
[notify]
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 8:02pm PST 
I cant believe that vet!! I would personally take him to a different one!

When Pugsley got neutered he wasnt even in pain... When i took him home for about an hour he was sleepy... then running around like his normal self!

On the other hand, when i was a teen and my now moms dog Buster was neutered he cried all night long and was in pain... It really depends on the dog i think...

But i would be scared the way that vet was and the fact that the poor baby was so scared!
[notify]
Toby Jay

It's always a- good time for a- nap!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 8:07pm PST 
please do NOT give him anything just because someone on dogster (including me) recommended it without calling someone first. ..but you could look up online at the ASPCA website, vet websites, etc. Maybe you can find somewhere that says a human pain medicine that's safe to give him. Of course make sure it's a reliable resource like a vet site, or university site. It would give him some temporary relief until you can get a hold of a vet to have a look at your poor baby! Good luck Leo! I went through the big snip in April. I'm rootin' for you!
[notify]
Coco ( in- loving- memory)

old man with an- attitude!

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 9:19pm PST 
the shivering and whining could be a reaction to the anesthesia. shaking, whining and even some vomitting are common after affects as the anesthesia leaves the system. if this continues on to the next day, you should definately get in to see a vet, but from the sound of it, maybe not the same one!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6