GO!

Bleeding tail-tip injury

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tandee ~Gone- to the- Bridge

Leave no pigear- uneaten.

Barked: Tue Oct 24, '06 8:27am PST 
My staffie X "Tandee" is a VERY wiggly girl, and has mashed the end of her tail so badly that i have it wrapped all the time.
She has a very thin
coat, and for the past year, has had no hair on her tail tip. We are now having to consider amputation of her tail due to constant bleeding and infection in her tail, and it is obviously painful... but she just
can't/won't stop the wiggling out of pure exuberance.

Has anyone else had to go thru this?

you can see her Dogster page here:

www.dogster.com/?404922

Thanks! Tandee's mom Suzie
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Oct 24, '06 8:46am PST 
People certainly have... I once had a blood-spattered woman walk in where I work, and beg for help on the same issue. But I had to reffer her to someone else and I don't know what they ended up doing. The dog did get to keep her tail, but she wasn't having problems with infection, either.

Is it breaking open even when securely bandaged? It sounds a bit extreme, but would constant bandages with a cone (if needed) and a lot of crate rest be an option? I'm guessing she'll have to do all that plus anestisia if they take her tail, so maybe it'd be best to try it first letting her keep her tail?

Edited by author Tue Oct 24, '06 8:47am PST

[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Tue Oct 24, '06 9:06am PST 
We have a shelter dog with this problem. But our problem was that she had cement walls on her kennel and would crack open her tail against the walls every time someone would walk by. She would also tear the bandage off and make the wound worse.

The vet that works with the shelter decided it would be best to amputate the tail. I think he regretted the decision a little though because they ended up keeping her at the vet's for 3 or 4 days after the surgery.

Maybe get a second and third opinion... other vets may have methods that you haven't tried yet. Sometimes you never know what will work.

Good luck and whatever you decide it will be the best for your dog!

Tandee ~Gone- to the- Bridge

Leave no pigear- uneaten.

Barked: Thu Oct 26, '06 9:39am PST 
Tandee had to have her tail amputated, about 89% of it.
She is going fine, and I think she will adapt well.

I added a video of her i took last last night, its on her page.

Suzie
[notify]
♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Thu Oct 26, '06 11:03am PST 
Nothing wrong with no tail! Join the club! Maybe it'll make your life a bit easier. I can wiggle all I want!
[notify]
♥- Maggie- ♥

Adopt a- Shelter- Dog!

Barked: Thu Oct 26, '06 4:17pm PST 
Same here Lucia! Stumpy wiggle-butts are very cool!
[notify]
Dalton *Gone- to the- Bridge*

Big Ears

Barked: Tue Dec 19, '06 8:26am PST 
Well my problem started a few weeks ago when my mom went out of town and I chewed all the hair off of the tip of my tail. I already had the nickname "L.T." for "Lethal Tail" but my tail is doing more damage than "coffee table clearing." I have already suffered the embarrassment of having the tip of my tail shaved. I get so excited when my mom comes home that I bang my tail on everything--my tail is now purple from the bruising. I know--I am a wagger and my tail wound reopens when I wag it and it hits the wall, cabinets etc. Our kitchen has looked like a crime scene a couple of times--the slasher movie scene theme is getting old. I have also been painting the furniture with it--red is not our signature color. Please help--is there anything my mom can do to help my tail--one wag and the bandages fly!?
[notify]
Clover

Clover - The lucky one

Barked: Tue Dec 19, '06 9:02am PST 
when we got clover, she would (and still does) bang her tail on EVERYTHING....it began cracking and bleeding so for aobut 2-3 weeks we had it banaged up really well and that seemed to help. she did really well with gauze nad bandaids wrapped up to make a good padding on her tip during the day...we'd take it off at night to be sure she wouldn't eat it off or during the week when she's in her crate while we're at work. We took her to the vet too and they said that's what those tails do and we just have to be careful. We would get blood on our walls when she would crack it and then continue wigglin' her butt...we've had her for a year, and just recently it cracked again (not sure if it's from the cold/dry air)...but we didn't need to bandage it up, as it quickly dried up and healed. Her hair has also grown back on the tip (yeah) Now, only if we can heal up her ear infection and get her declaws to stop cracking and breaking then we'd be set. smile
[notify]
Louie- (Angel)- 2001-2011

chicks dig scars

Barked: Tue Dec 19, '06 10:16am PST 
Dalton - I had "Happy Tail" for a looong time. And as a 200lb mastiff, that's a lot of blood and a lot of tail power flinging it everywhere. So, my mommy and daddy took me to the vet and learned a way of wrapping my tail that it wouldn't fly off. This is a link to a very similar method of tail wrapping. If your human gets the hang of it, the bandage won't fly off and your tail will heal just like mine! Good luck! http://home.comcast.net/~conuremom/bandaging_a_tail.htm
[notify]
Dalton *Gone- to the- Bridge*

Big Ears

Barked: Wed Dec 20, '06 6:26am PST 
A big thank you to Louie and Clover for your caring responses!!! I did it I really did--I kept my tail wrapped all night long--the vet wrapped it up in pretty red wrap for Christmas. Louie the web page is a life saver--thank you.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2