GO!

How long will she be in heat/bleed?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lola Sophia

Hey I want- that,mommy- gimme!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 8:43am PST 
My Maltese Lola is 10 months old and just went into her first heat 8 days ago. I don't know why I was under the impression that the bleeding only lasts about 1 week? Now I'm reading up in different sites that it's actually for 3-4 weeks? I do plan to spay her but was hoping to breed her only once if I found a small male dog and get her spayed then.I had her in a playpen for a week but I couldn't stand it seeing her in there anymore so now she is free in my family room.She has small spotting so it's not making a mess + it's all tiled floors. I will have to shave between her legs all the way down her legs because they are stained frown
How long is the average heat? A breeder told me that the dog goes into heat and you have only one week to breed her. I guess that's why I assumed that they bleed for only one week. I'm going to talk with my hubby because I just want to get her spayed soon.

Gennel
[notify]
Zandy

Just throw it!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 8:50am PST 
I don't know anything about this, really, except that you will get a lot of negative feedback in here from Dogsters telling you that you have no business breeding your dog if you are not a breeder, and don't even know the basics. I agree, but I don't want to attack you with all that.
I just want to encourage you to get her spayed soon, as you are leaning towards it anyway. It makes for a better pet, healthier pet, happier pet. It will solve the spotting problem. Just know that now that she has had her first heat, it will be a bit more expensive, and more expensive still if she has a litter first (someone correct me if I'm wrong - its just what I was told).
Good luck - and your baby is adorable!
[notify]
Flo

Little bunny

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 9:08am PST 
Hi darling!
A female heat lasts about 4 weeks. They bleed only 10 to 15 days, but when the bleeding stops, they became fertil. Please don't breed your girl...your have very basic questions and breeding should be for breeders that know what they are doing. You could end loosing your cute girl!
[notify]

Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 11:31am PST 
Yup it's a common misconception... unlike human females, bitches are fertile AFTER they bleed. The discharge will change to a clear or straw-colored discharge and that is when they are fertile and will allow a male to mount. Of course, they can become impregnated at any time during the heat. So to be safe, for the entire month, I would keep her under lock and key. As soon as she is done with the heat though I would schedule a spay just to be safe.
[notify]
Mika MADC,- MJDC,- AG.N.J.,- A.G.

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 12:32pm PST 
I agree with everything the pups before me have said.

Getting bred is very uncomfortable and often frightening for these girls, and birthing is painful, so please think about having Lola spayed soon. I'm just giving this as a suggestion.

She looks so cute in her little pink sweater!
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 1:28pm PST 
I agree. All dogs can have problems with giving birth but us little ones can have more problems than most dogs because of our size. It can be a life or death situation. If you are not an experienced breeder please don't breed her. She is far too beautiful to ever chance her life that way.
[notify]
Lola Sophia

Hey I want- that,mommy- gimme!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 1:32pm PST 
Zandy and everyone else thanks for this info. I know how touchy the topic of Breeding can be and have seen many get attacked about it. I guess when you ask for advice you better be willing to give all the details because you are asking for people to get into your business and realize that if you ask for advice that you will get plenty of it smile
Let me just say that I would not go into this blindly. A neighbor of mine is a Yorkie and Maltese breeder of about 20 yrs +. If I did decide to breed her once only ,my neighbor would be my mentor through the whole process. I was waiting until she was at least almost 2 yrs old to see how much she would weigh. I would never consider letting her have pups if she was a 3 pounder. She's almost 5 lbs . I .My neighbor let me know she would be out of state so just wanted to come on here and ask since they are sooo many maltese mommies.Actually everyone's advice was very nice.

Gen
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 1:34pm PST 
Most people, even if they disagree with you, are usually polite about it. But you said your little girl is only 5lbs. Oh wow, that is so tiny. You have to find a really tiny male to mate with her - even smaller than she is. That is just too unfair to her.
[notify]
Tootsie

Top dog

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 2:30pm PST 
You have already heard all about heats now and may be sorry you posted. The time span I know about is 3 weeks duration, 1 week coming in, 1 week in and 1 week going out. They can get pregnant at any time during that 3 weeks period. If you want to breed your dog that is your business. Just try to be careful, be informed and have a good vet. Everyone is correct in that it is better for a dog to be spayed but there are a lot of dogs that live happy, long lives without being spayed. It is a not a real fun time for either the female dog or the owner. I kept mine in little panties to keep anything from getting on the furniture or carpet. A dog that weighs 5 pounds is not an extremely tiny dog. Just make sure that the stud you use is smaller than she is and that his mother & dad, grandpa & grandma were not big. Have her checked by your vet first and get his seal of approval regarding her health before breeding her. We all live and learn and we all love our furbabies.
[notify]
Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!

Barked: Thu Oct 19, '06 2:54pm PST 
She is soooo adorable! Please, you have to make your own decision, but PLEASE don't breed her. There are sooo many doggies out there...wonderful, cute doggies that need homes and then your doggies are going to need homes too! Plus, it will be very hard on your baby. I think about it like this...I would'nt want to go through pregnancy just to have my babies taken away! It's a painful and emotional process that isn't needed! Anyway, good luck in whatever you choose, but I think you should spay her when this heat is over.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2